Old pawn?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old pawn?

The only provenance I have on it is that my folks have had it as long as I can remember. Not sure where they acquired it, maybe a yard sale or something? I think it must have came from the south west. I am guessing It was made by either a Navajo, Zuni or Hopi silversmith, but the stone isn't turquoise which kind of throws me off? It has clipped corners and is hand engraved. The belt attachment is silver and is soldered on solid, unlike most of the examples I am seeing on the internet that have a swivel like belt attachment. The only signature markings I can make out is a cross, and what looks like might be a signature on the bottom edge, but is to far worn to make out if it is. It has a deep patina which tells me it is old, but how old I don't know, I am hoping someone can tell me. Don't know what kind of stone that is either? Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6725.jpg
Views:	436
Size:	959.5 KB
ID:	714530 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6726.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	714531 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6727.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	714532
    keep on keepin after

I have an Old Pawn Button with the similar cross mark [the four points]. Mine is Navajo.
    Last edited by sawatch; 01-07-2024, 03:58 PM.

Comment

• PointHound
      PointHound commented
      Editing a comment
      There are so many makers mark's out there it gets confusing to me. That should help me narrow it down some. Thank you! You wouldn't by any chance happen to know what kind of stone that is? I have been looking but can't find anything like it.

• sawatch
      sawatch commented
      Editing a comment
      Wouldn't know the lithic used and it's hard to say if it was the original cab for the setting but the silver looks original to the date.

I came across some info and the white cab may be a very rare type of turquois know as White Buffalo...
    Last edited by sawatch; 02-04-2024, 01:38 PM.

Comment

I hate to let everybody know how ignorant I am but sometime you just got to do what you’ve got to do. I was not familiar with the term “old pawn” so I googled it. I’m sure that I am the only person here that was unfamiliar with the term but just in case there is someone else this is a very interesting read. https://www.antiqueamericanindianart...y-jewelry.html

Comment

Working...
    X