Sweet and interesting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sweet and interesting

Inherited this little frame and just curious on the experts thoughts on this piece. From southern Virginia.

Hey Yuchi, I am no expert but those are obviously modern. I enjoy knapping things like that.
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• Reflector
      Reflector commented
      Editing a comment
      Close to an expert.

Not modern. Found on the family farm.

Comment

The two center pieces are modern made…there may be a prehistoric point or two in the bunch.
      Southern Connecticut

Comment

Hey Yuchi, I thought you asked what the items are. If you know what they are why ask?
        Michigan Yooper
        If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Wow. Since you found it and know it's good, I would recommend sending or taking it to a reputable authenticator. It should make quite a stir at any artifact show.

Comment

The two center pieces are well known modern eccentric works by most knowledgable collectors unfortunately. The presence of those makes some of the other chunkier ones look suspect as well, like something someone with very little knapping experience would make.
            As C-Gode Said, there may be a a couple in that frame that were found and are real artifacts. Unfortunatley they all appear to be lacquered or clear coated wich was often been done in the past as people decide the wet look helps them look better. This unfortunatley degrades whatever value the artifact may have while also ruining the natural patina and lithic color.
            This type of thing is from my experience in South East Kentucky and East TN, somewhat normal in old collections that often exhibit many authentic points. My Grandfather had points that were lacquered and he had bought several easily identified modern points mixed into frames with authentic points. Country folk like to go to yard sales, flea markets and trade and swap and inevitably fakes and things like this make there way into the collection of people who are more interested with having more "arrowheads" on the walls than ever really learning a whole lot about them, let alone the reproduction and fake market.
            So I can see how a passed down or inherited assortment like this could end up being presented as found on family farm but you should keep in mind this forum has extremely knowledgeable and yes "expert" collectors who don't post here to lie or be mean, but actually to help people understand the truth about their artifacts or rocks.
            I hope this helps you understand how you've mistaken what you thought were family farm finds, got mixed up. It's just a matter of items with lost or misunderstood provenance.
            Last edited by Kyflintguy; 02-08-2024, 07:13 AM.
            Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Cousin is fishing hard.

Comment

So I never really understood the whole "if there is modern point in collection the rest compromised" but seeing them in a frame together of same material, well doesnt look convincing.

Anyway being passed down from Family still something to appreciate on the wall.
                Last edited by JoshinMO; 02-08-2024, 10:36 PM.
                http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Working...
                X