PA Arrowhead identification please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PA Arrowhead identification please

My boyfriend metal detects and found this arrowhead. We live in Everett PA. I know he got it in Bedford County PA (Our county) with a lot of history of the Native Americans raiding the settlers. The Indians joined with British and French to take over the area. I think it said Britain took over the area on Wikipedia. Anyways this is a beautiful arrowhead that if you hold it up to light is clearish white and shimmers (but no sparkles in it). The best I could find was flint/quartz mixture, but I want to know for sure. Also I know the Shawnee's are here, so was it theirs and what was this sized (Small) arrowheads used for?
    I am really sad the Native Americans were raiding the settlers , but I am excited because my grandma was full blood Cherokee Indian so I have some in me too. Grandma taught us the Cherokee ways and customs. My oldest Aunt and myself are the only two who followed their ways.
    Ignore Mittens the cats hair, he saw it and was trying to play with it, lol
    Click image for larger version  Name:	shineyarrowhead.jpg Views:	2 Size:	353.8 KB ID:	719497
    Attached Files
    Last edited by annanshawn; 02-07-2024, 11:37 PM. Reason: Correcting some spelling and added a picture, lol

Welcome to arrowheads.com ! That is definitely quartz and a nice find….you say it’s “small” so I’ll make some assumptions…it helps if you put something for size reference in the picture. I would call it a Merrimack point for type….Im not from your area so someone else may offer a different opinion. If it is though, its age would be considered in the middle archaic time period placing it around 5-6000 years old, give or take😂
    that date would put it before the “bow/arrow so it would have been a dart point used with an atlatl …..neat find! Congrats
    Southern Connecticut

Comment

The bulbous base and side notching has me thinking a Lamoka point….click on “view examples” to see examples remindful of your point. It’s one possibility…

Rhode Island

Comment

• cgode
        cgode commented
        Editing a comment
        You very well may be right Charlie….certainly a good possibility

• Kaz
        Kaz commented
        Editing a comment
        I was thinking the same.

Sweet... welcome to the forum.
      Utah