A frame of points collected by my great grandfather on the family farm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A frame of points collected by my great grandfather on the family farm

These were all collected on the family farm in Albany County, NY.

When I mentioned that I had nearly 400 artifacts to identify, it was suggested by a member that i post some groups. My biggest reason for getting these identified is that someday I hope to pass these 3 collections on to my three sons someday, and I would like to catalogue as much as I can, point types, the family history of where they came from, etc., so that they will value them as more than just some rocks.

This particular frame, while a lot of points, are probably mostly all the same type, so I hope this many in one group is ok and won't be time consuming for anyone. If, not, I can post smaller groups. Many of the other frames are too varied, and I will have to do smaller groupings.

#11 has been identified as a Meadowood. I suspect many more are the same. #15 and #16 look like scrapers to me, but I don't know if there are different types. #22 is a drill or punch, but again, I don't know if there are types. #46 is a pentagonal point of some type, I believe.

I appreciate any input you may have.

Click image for larger version  Name:	points number ruled.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.94 MB ID:	724009
    Last edited by wcubed; 03-17-2024, 07:40 PM.

what a great heirloom.. that's cool.
    Utah

Comment

what a great heirloom.. that's cool. good peices.. outta my area. but someone will be along to help you out.
      Utah

Comment

2 is interesting

Comment

#42 looks like a Lost Lake to me. Nice collection. 👍
          South Carolina

Comment

#42 looks like a Lost Lake to me. #2 is probably a Snyder. Nice collection. 👍
            South Carolina

Comment

Mattern This looks like your area of expertise. 😁
              South Carolina

Comment

If it will help, I can turn over each point in the case, and then repost. Or take individual photos of a particular point, if there is doubt.

Comment

#46 is a Jack’s Reef and a nice example.
                  Southern Connecticut

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	points number ruled.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.94 MB ID:	724127 A lot to look at in that frame. 1 looks like a Normanskill point to me. 4,11,14and 21 are Meadowood points, 2 looks like a kirk made of some nice onandaga chert. I concru with Cgode 46 is a nice jacksreef corner notch . Quite a few of the small side notched points look to me like sylvan lake type points. 35 might be a susquehanna broad point or a dry brook . A couple in there resemble taconic phase points. Taconic phase belone to the Lamoka cluster . 3 , 6 and 28 look like dustin varients of the Lamoka type.
                    7 looks like a nice brewerton side notch. 36 , 41 and 42 look like brewerton corner notch
                    39 is a mystery to me . Basal notched points are very uncommon in New York . Not saying they dont exist however you may never be able to attribute that one to a type. take some picks of the pase of 39 is it broke? Could also be a JAcksreef corner notch with a broke base.
                    Last edited by Hoss; 03-18-2024, 04:28 PM.
                    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Originally posted by Hoss View Post
                    Click image for larger version Name:	points number ruled.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.94 MB ID:	724127 A lot to look at in that frame. 1 looks like a Normanskill point to me. 4,11,14and 21 are Meadowood points, 2 looks like a kirk made of some nice onandaga chert. I concru with Cgode 46 is a nice jacksreef corner notch . Quite a few of the small side notched points look to me like sylvan lake type points. 35 might be a susquehanna broad point or a dry brook . A couple in there resemble taconic phase points. Taconic phase belone to the Lamoka cluster . 3 , 6 and 28 look like dustin varients of the Lamoka type.
                    7 looks like a nice brewerton side notch. 36 , 41 and 42 look like brewerton corner notch
                    39 is a mystery to me . Basal notched points are very uncommon in New York . Not saying they dont exist however you may never be able to attribute that one to a type. take some picks of the pase of 39 is it broke? Could also be a JAcksreef corner notch with a broke base.
                    Sorry about the number of points. I thought more of them would be the same type. I'll try smaller batches next time.

I was wondering if a normanskill would make an appearance. while not the creek that runs through the family farm, it isn't that far away, but I never would have guessed #1 because the picture of a Normanskill looks quite a bit squatter whereas mine looks skinnier and longer.

The Jacks Reef I actually would have been the only one I would have gotten right because it is so distinctive, but i got cold feet because I failed so badly on #11 when I posted it individually.

So I'll go out on a limb on #39 after looking at your link. Vosburg. Now go ahead and laugh. lol

Then I would have tried lumping #19 and maybe a few of the other smaller skinny ones in with it as a lamoka. But I can see the sylan side notched on the ones that weren't so skinny.

Then, because #28 isn't that skinny, I would have called it a vestal notched and because it's so pointy.

What's my score? Probably failing. lol

Edit: But good catch on the base on #39. It does look like it is broken. Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20240318_214854.jpg Views:	0 Size:	270.6 KB ID:	724153 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20240318_214910.jpg Views:	0 Size:	255.8 KB ID:	724154
                    Last edited by wcubed; 03-18-2024, 08:54 PM.

Comment

• Hoss
                      Hoss commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Looks like that base broke in anient times and was reworked could be a corner notch brewerton?

Great collection . Really nice Hoss on your explanation . Got me going now enjoying your knowledge .

Comment

Great collection wcubed. If you want I can ID most of them for you. They are very similar to what I find here in Pa. Welcome to arrowheads.com Kim
                      Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

Working...
                      X