Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Central California coast point

Hey all,
    Found this complete point on the Central California coast and I’m attempting to type it to get an indication of age. From what I’ve found, it appears to be a McGillivray point (?) made out of Monterey Chert or Franciscan Chert. It’s a bit over 2 inches and though it’s not a beautifully flaked point, it’s complete and tells a story.

I love the patination and remaining cortex (I believe). The maker was likely struggling to thin it down but made-do with a thicker point. The base is ground, too.

Any input on type would be great!
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9067.jpg Views:	86 Size:	875.0 KB ID:	724258
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9068.jpg Views:	87 Size:	1.26 MB ID:	724259
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9070.jpg Views:	86 Size:	494.3 KB ID:	724257
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9081.jpg Views:	115 Size:	496.2 KB ID:	724256
    Last edited by Dmaver; 03-21-2024, 04:07 PM.

Hi Dylan. In the east it would be called a Randolph. Not sure about California but they are very much the same. K

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5619[1].jpg
Views:	97
Size:	2.02 MB
ID:	724437 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6292[1].jpg
Views:	88
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	724438

Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

Awesome point, Kim! Thanks for showing it! Is that a recent find?

Comment

I think your on to something with the mcgillivray...
        Utah

Comment

very unique find Dmaver. Probably way off but the first thing to run across my head is bottleneck? whatever type nice find man.
          keep on keepin after

Comment

Working...
          X