Calf Creek?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calf Creek?

Found this weekend in NE TX not far from OK/TX line. Material looks like quartzite and it has been thinned to 8:1 ratio. Looks like a Calf Creek but wanted to get more opinions from the PRO's!

Looks like a Bell made from Rootbeer Edwards... Personal Find?

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-04-04 154623.png
Views:	171
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	725914

Comment

• SEOK
      SEOK commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh yeah I think it is a Bell....very helpful Jon....thank you!

Amazing how those long barbs survive. Outstanding artifact!
    keep on keepin after

Comment

• SEOK
      SEOK commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you....my friend found this in his yard along with a lot of others. He even found a half a chert bead. I think his house is going to have a mote around it before he quits....lol

Hay SEOK and welcome to arrowheads.com. That is a great looking point! I wish we had them up here in Pa. Kim
    Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

• SEOK
      SEOK commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you....We are blessed with an abundance of artifacts in this area....not easy to find but they are here. I have had goffers push up small points in my yard before!

Jon called it a Bell and you could sure call it that. The fact is that Bell, andice, and calf creek are all part of the calf creek culture. North of Central TX, they took on more if a classic calf creek look. South they are generally more corner notched and classic Bell. In Central and east tx, they were making andice, calf creek, and bell at the same time although andice is more prevalent the farther east you go. Made by the same people. As a matter of fact, I have Andice with one andice notch and one bell notch on the same point.

The Gault Lab did a great job excavating and publishing the calf creek culture and documented the variations.
    Last edited by Garguy; 04-05-2024, 01:09 PM.

Comment

• Jon E. Busch
      Jon E. Busch commented
      Editing a comment
      You are correct Steve, but most true to form Andices' and Calf Creeks' have 2 Vertical Notches vs. Bell has the 2 Angled notches...

• Garguy
      Garguy commented
      Editing a comment
      Absolutely right as usual Jon. Bell is more corner notched creating a wider and expanding base such as seen with this one.

Very Nice indeed. Great find.
    We had a great presentation about two months ago on the Calf Creek Culture, of which Bell is part of..

It's free now on youtube. I just listened to it today while driving back from a dig in Kerrville, Tx. Search under Houston Archaeology Society, I believe it was from Jan. or Feb. meeting.
    FGH Check out my artifact store at Lone Star Artifact Reclaim

Comment

Very Nice indeed. Great find.
      We had a great presentation about two months ago on the Calf Creek Culture, of which Bell is part of..

It's free now on youtube. I just listened to it today while driving back from a dig in Kerrville, Tx. Search under Houston Archaeology Society, I believe it was from Jan. or Feb. meeting.
      Bell, Andice and Calf Creek were Bison Killing Tools.
      FGH Check out my artifact store at Lone Star Artifact Reclaim

Comment

Did Sergio give the presentation? He literally wrote the book on calf creek culture. My collection was used extensively and I assisted documenting finds all around.

Comment

Comment

Working...
          X