Fake and Reproduction area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fake and Reproduction area

We need a area on FAKES-REPRODUCTIONS-MODERN MADE! that are being sold on the market to collectors that are being decieved with.I have 2 I kepted just for this learning reason to other collectors,Ill post some photos of some good FAKES being sold as original that I got screwed on some time ago.A much needed topic. :angry:

A very excellent idea Guido59, I myself have been mulling around the idea and will discuss this matter with the rest of the Arrowheads.com staff and will decide on the correct course of action.
    Thank you for your suggestion and happy hunting!
    Andrew Schwinn

Comment

I agree it would be good to have a fake -and- reproduction area for educational purposes. There are people putting out some very nice stuff. Everyone should learn to spot it.Here is one I bought knowing it was a fake. The form of the base was too perfectly round as if cut by modern tools. Then a couple of chips were pressed out to hide the fact. Also no basal grinding

Image not found

Comment

Iam glad I got your feedbacks,Heres 2 Modern reproductions sold to me as original,I didnt have my loup at the time till I got home,BURNED again at a consignment shop-antique shop. The clovis is so well made that the naked eye woulnd see the modern tool marks and BUFFING marks,yes BUFFING marks from a sander!This is what made me get a MICROSCOPE,I was sick of ripoffs.
        The other from the same place,I noticed aluminum flakes inside the notching areas,a dead giveaway of modern knapping.After 30 some years collecting,finding,buying,tradeing, Ive only been burned 3 times and thats to much.I advise anyone to invest in a relic type microscope,great for coins,artifacts,ect...

Comment

Here the Reproductions. :angry:

Comment

Another view. :angry:

Comment

I totally agree, that would be very helpful..as a matter of fact my husband found a fake just today!lol

Comment

Greetings,
                I have discussed this matter with the rest of the Arrowheads.com team and have agreed that it would be a great addition to our forums to have this section.  We do not have a time-table for when it will be implemented as of yet but this matter is in our future plans.  Look ahead for some major upgrades and features to be added to improve and grow this site. Again, we thank you for your valuable suggestions and remarks!
                Andrew Schwinn
                Arrowheads.com

Comment

This was one of only a handful of artifacts I've ever bought.  I will never buy one again unless I see it come out of the ground by a buddy.  Got it for 10 bucks, got my choice of any in the case.  1988....St. Leo Show.  I never thought or even looked at it to see if it was fake.  Was in the center of my personal find triangles.  Sold it on eBay when decided I only wanted personal finds and it came up bad, with a history to boot.
                  So long ago but if I ever went to another show and saw the con artist I'd have some words.  Maybe he got it the same way........ still some words.  Refunded the buyer for the price and shipping and paid for half of Carlos' Authentication.  Buyer sent it back to me with the paper.  It's been ballpeened but still in the little baggie with knockdown authentication. I look at the pic now and see it's problems immediately.  A worthwhile education early on in my collecting years.
                  Professor Shellman
                  Tampa Bay

Comment

Here is something fun to google..Type in "Tussinger Cache",He was a halfbreed indian in the 30's who made hundreds of these exotic flints and sold them,he claimed he dug in mounds and found.These are worth some good money as reproductions in a folk art sense,This is a photo I got on Ebay this week,it was starting out at $500.00,not for me in my original collection but some may like it ..so BEWARE!of what your buying. :unsure:

Comment

The best starting out advise I got when considering starting to purchase was knowing what flint types were produced where. Many of these knappers use exotic flints or chert that is easier to work with. But many times the material wasn't available to ancient man in the area it came from. The other advice? The old cliche "If it seems to good to be true, it probably is"

Comment

I think that we already have a Fake and Reproduction area- right here!
                        This pic is of a "cache of gameballs" that was later revealed as being compacted balls of chicken poop and feathers that accumulated in the bottom of a big chicken house fan.

Comment

LOL, Oh Maeon that's pure satisfaction!  I'm dyin' here! :woohoo:  :woohoo:
                          Professor Shellman
                          Tampa Bay

Comment

The BAD thing about these, and other fakes and geofacts, is that they get posted as real ancient artifacts, then others learn all wrong. That particular pic is from a society website and was posted before the owner knew the real story from the perp. The pic has never been taken down or properly captioned, so now they are studied as artifacts online. That is a big problem particularly for new collectors.

Comment

Here are a few MODERN stone fish hooks from a collection made in the 50's and 60's in NC. The material is Midwestern and the things were cooked to look old, but they are not. These are in one of Bennett's books on fakes.
                              Cliff

Comment

Working...
                              X