Disable Java

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disable Java

Can anyone tell me how to disable Java on my computer?
    Thanks
    Rhode Island

I am so sorry. I do not know the answer to this. I opened it because i saw java a thought of coffee. lol   I need a cup! But, i will look through my laptop and see if i can figure it out.

Comment

Are you really wanting to disable it?  or, is it disabled and you need to turn it back on?

Comment

Charlie are you looking to update your Java? or enable / disable something
        TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Homeland Security has urged all pc owners to disable Java, not Java script, in order to avoid a critical security flaw. That's what olden meant(forget the thread) when he had said he turned off Java everywhere on his computer. I have a Dell desktop Windows Vista.....
          Here's the thread where olden mentions disabling Java. As noted, everyone is being urged to disable Java on their computers, all over the news......

A new insightful documentary on what became of the Neanderthals, and what modern people owe them. A good segment about their tool technology as well. Just click on
          Rhode Island

Comment

I found this.. im not sure if it will work. It seemed to be talking about what you are wanting. Take a read. Hope this helps you!

Comment

I found something similar to what Cricket found here is the link proceed with caution. Disable one at a time and restart and test the machine is my advise if it does something you do not like or makes access to programs difficult you will know what the root cause is. and you can reverse your process.
              Java isn't good for your for your computer's health right now. It can mess it up pretty bad. Bad enough that the Department of Homeland Security is warning us all to turn it off. OK, but how do you do that? Fortunately, it's not that hard.

TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

cricket71 wrote:

http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2012...-java-browser/
                I found this.. im not sure if it will work. It seemed to be talking about what you are wanting. Take a read. Hope this helps you!
                  Thanks, that's what I'm talking about. But when I go to any of the instruction pages for the various browsers, I saw that the page said "no working version of Java found", as if I don't need to disable it within browsers. But there is a program called "Java(TM)SE runtime enviornment 6", but not published by Oracle, on my computer. Not a geek, don't know what I should do actually. If anybody else knows based on the info I've given, please let us know.
                Rhode Island

Comment

for some reason I have heard that Java is not shown in the control panel if you have vista

Comment

Hoss wrote:

I found something similar to what Cricket found here is the link proceed with caution. Disable one at a time and restart and test the machine is my advise if it does something you do not like or makes access to programs difficult you will know what the root cause is. and you can reverse your process.
                    Java isn't good for your for your computer's health right now. It can mess it up pretty bad. Bad enough that the Department of Homeland Security is warning us all to turn it off. OK, but how do you do that? Fortunately, it's not that hard.
                      Thanks, Hoss. It warns against Java published by Oracle, but the only publisher on mine for IE is Sun Microsystems for something called "Sun Java Console". Anyway, might ask for help from a local geek before I easily screw up. Thanks cricket and Hoss!
                    Rhode Island

Comment

FYI
                      check this out. 
                      Oracle Corp. said Monday it has released a fix for the flaw in its Java software that raised an alarm from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security last week.

Comment

Reading the article Matt posted, think I'll just bide my time. The likely hood of someone hacking in to your personal computer very low and any number of threats can come from multiple places, so the frustration created by trying to eliminate what may not be a problem, not worth the time and effort. Especially since I'm a clutz on a computer.
                        Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

gregszybala wrote:

Reading the article Matt posted, think I'll just bide my time. The likely hood of someone hacking in to your personal computer very low and any number of threats can come from multiple places, so the frustration created by trying to eliminate what may not be a problem, not worth the time and effort. Especially since I'm a clutz on a computer.
                            I agree, Greg, and it irs me when the nightly national news blares "everyone is being urged to disable Java now."
                          Rhode Island

Comment

I wouldn’t panic too much. If you really want to disable Java (Oracle Java Runtime Environment, also known as JRE) the method depends on your Windows and JRE versions and what internet browser you are using. But the first thing to do is establish if you are actually using JRE and what version you have.
                            The general security of JRE has always been pretty hopeless (in my opinion) but the current concern is for version 7, which has 86 known vulnerabilities.
                            Go to www.java.com
                            and click on “Do I have Java?” in the middle of the screen. Then click on the “Verify Version of Java” option and it will tell you the version number and the update level.
                            The site currently offers a download of version 7, update 11. If you are already on version 7 but a lower update level then you should move to update 11 since that makes it easier to disable it later if you wish to. If you are on version 6 or below, I would suggest leaving it like that (for now).
                            Even if you are on the vulnerable version 7, it may already have been partly fixed in update 11. When Oracle became aware of the problem, it promised to provide a fix by Tuesday. At the time they were on update 10, but since update 11 has already appeared, it looks as if they have already taken at least some action. If you check back with the site on or after Tuesday there may be another update.
                            My advice would be not to download new versions of software immediately when they appear. Bide your time and wait to see if there are reported problems. I declined the Java update to version 7 when it popped up and am still on version 6, update 37. I also decline Microsoft Explorer version updates until there is some user feedback for the same reason.
                            Also, you don’t have to worry about your snazzy new iPad, Charlie… Apple operating systems don’t currently support Java.
                            I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

LOL I removed Java from both my machines I only need Java for one thing. Proxibid auctions.
                              Gues what I could not watch today.

Comment

Working...
                              X