Indiana laws for artifact hunting question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indiana laws for artifact hunting question

Hi guys. Merry Christmas! My family lives on 187 acre farm that was built in the mid 1800's. When my stepdad purchased the farm we found cigar boxes full of artifacts that were buried in the dirt floors in the basement. My question is, in Indiana even being a property owner you are suppose to document and have a map to show your finds. How would one go about a situation like this were you find tons of artifacts together that someone else obviously had found? We assume they all came from the farm but I'm no were near educated enough on artifact's to be able to determine that. I would love someone to look at this collection and clarify! We just want to be doing the right thing and would hate to ever risking losing these treasures. Thanks!

This might help.   http://www.in.gov/dnr/historic/files/lawqa.pdf

Comment

Now its really like Xmas waiting for lots of pictures of them.

Comment

My only comment is just because you found them in cigar boxes buried in the basement doesn't mean they were found onsite. One could argue either way.  My instincts would be to just enjoy them or, if you don't want them, donate them to the nearest historical or archeological society.
        Child of the tides

Comment

Pete, got you the answers to laws in Indiana, nice Pete.
          You shouldn't have anything to worry about, personal finds on personal property.
          Lets see some of those artifacts!
          Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

We absolutely enjoy them!!! I'm a rock nut so it's a beautiful thing. My stepdad however doesn't have the love like I do. He found a grooved axe while he was mowing and is using it for a door stop LOL. I think the best thing to do is take the collection to a legit authenticator and go from there.

Comment

Sounds like a plan!
              Child of the tides

Comment

When your finished examining the collection of artifacts you found, the one thing I would advise against, is donating them to any historical society or museum. These places rarely have the funds to purchase artifacts, and they thrive on donations. I could tell you dozens of true stories about donated artifacts that ended up in storage in basements and attics, damaged, or the worst case scenario, the artifacts grew legs and walked out the back door. Artifacts rarely get displayed for others to appreciate. If you decide to sell the collection, there are several very good options on how and where to market them.
                http://www.ravensrelics.com/

Comment

Cool way to score some artifacts, if they are obviously authentic, and your not going to sell em', I wouldn't waste time with an authenticator. Frame em' up and hang em' on the wall. Oh yeah and let us see lol.
                  Ps you should talk your stepdad out of his door stop, go find him a good rock to replace it :dunno: 
                  Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Kyflintguy wrote:

Cool way to score some artifacts, if they are obviously authentic, and your not going to sell em', I wouldn't waste time with an authenticator. Frame em' up and hang em' on the wall. Oh yeah and let us see lol.
                    Ps you should talk your stepdad out of his door stop, go find him a good rock to replace it :dunno: 
                    I agree do not donate them. they would be in a repository, and if there was a priceless point it would grow legs. Most museums have a cast of a artifact on display. I have seen one that had the real deal. that was in Arkansas Matt Rowe's.
                    I would display them with pride.  And I also would love to see them.
                    Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

On another quick subject, I got an early present in the mail the other day! Chase, what I sent you for your state collection wasn't meant to be traded for. BUT, that's the kind heart you have. I love them, especially the Ute tinkler. I am very partial to historic items. Thank you so much, I will treasure them, And ya can't get better history!
                      http://www.ravensrelics.com/

Comment

pkfrey wrote:

On another quick subject, I got an early present in the mail the other day! Chase, what I sent you for your state collection wasn't meant to be traded for. BUT, that's the kind heart you have. I love them, especially the Ute tinkler. I am very partial to historic items. Thank you so much, I will treasure them, And ya can't get better history!
                        Paul, glad you got them. The scraper with the patination I could not date. A surface find in a historic camp but I know they have been used for centuries. The Tinkler I could date from the beads found in the camp. The point is a guess the base is not classic but with what has been found would suggest its a variant
                        Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

I'm heading out to the farm today to get pics and hopefully some film to show you where I believe the camps were according to my finds and I think there is a burial mound that I want to show all of you. Be back soon!

Comment

pkfrey wrote:

When your finished examining the collection of artifacts you found, the one thing I would advise against, is donating them to any historical society or museum. These places rarely have the funds to purchase artifacts, and they thrive on donations. I could tell you dozens of true stories about donated artifacts that ended up in storage in basements and attics, damaged, or the worst case scenario, the artifacts grew legs and walked out the back door. Artifacts rarely get displayed for others to appreciate. If you decide to sell the collection, there are several very good options on how and where to market them.
                              A municipal or state museum would most likely not accept the artifacts as a donation because their provenience is unknown.  If they were artifacts stored in cigar boxes, they could have been found anywhere---or a whole bunch of "anywheres."  Just because there is an archaeological site on the property does not necessarily mean that all of them came from that site.  Just sayin'.

Comment

The farm belongs to the family, not the state. But do what you believe is right.
                              http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Working...
                              X