Field Finds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Field Finds

When I am out in a tilled field is this the kind of chippings, flakes or waste I am looking for?

Peace,<br />[br]Kozman

I would say that is a pretty good indication you should find points there.
    South Dakota

Comment

SDhunter wrote:

I would say that is a pretty good indication you should find points there.
        and if not, you could try and make some from them pieces
      most all of it looks to be knappable

Comment

YES, and you should find even smaller and smaller pieces, then those nice artifacts!
        Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Found these chips last weekend in an attempt to get the smell off. 3 or 4 of them look like fragments of arrowheads. Can any tell me if they look heat treated.

also found an overhang under this camp site but looks like to much

debris under it to look for arrowheads any thoughts.

Comment

I also  count the number of chips I found per site per arrowhead this site has always been in the 15 to 20 chips per arrowhead, I kind of rate the site this way, does anyone else do this?

Comment

One thing I look for is different types of lithic's which is what I want to see. Quarry sites I do find broken blanks but  was usable was transported, but what was broken was discarded, traded and that's where you get the lithic's that are varied. when I see that is when I get exited. To me this is when I see central hub used over time and a place they would make a home ground.  Explore it! really
              Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

The center one may be heat treated. Not familiar with the lithics your way. Nice bifurcated base right below it.
                I figure I find on average 20-30 flakes per part of a point found, 10 or so parts of a point to damaged point found and 20-30 of those to whole points found.
                Darn, now I just bummed myself out, no wonder it takes so freakin long to find em!
                Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

me and to friends hunted a field last year
                  in that field there were literally thousands and thousands of flakes on the surface
                  we hunted for about 5 hours and between the three of us we found two points that day

Comment

THANK you ALL! I am so excided. You see I found these pieces on a tilled field. I did not have long hunting because it was getting dark. Next day it snowed and snow is still there. About a month and a half I will be there!
                    Peace,<br />[br]Kozman

Comment

Working...
                    X