No announcement yet.

Questions On Digging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You would think if the states really wanted these artifacts they would have people go around and look for them. I dont understand why they have such harsh rules if they dont want them.

Comment

Yeah me either, actually the state doesn't enforce it that much, for one they've got more important things to do such as murder and what not, you know things that involve the living. That doesn't mean there won't come a time when they put together a special team for such things. Either way it makes it hard to do things in a more proper manner. Funny the money our gov. spends sending people to the other side of the world to dig up Egyptian burials, but they can't get a program together for us to get qualified to dig special finds on our own land!

Comment

They already have a team its called DNR. Google that for your state and see what comes up. If you are on a site that has documentation of a dig then they will really take it serious, And if it is a burial or an election year. Then you will have to worry. Election years they always want to make an example of you to make themselves look good.

Comment

itwasluck wrote:

They already have a team its called DNR. Google that for your state and see what comes up. If you are on a site that has documentation of a dig then they will really take it serious, And if it is a burial or an election year. Then you will have to worry. Election years they always want to make an example of you to make themselves look good.
            Here it seems that's the Department of Natural Resources and it seems it's all about stuff like hunting game and fish also the company that drills the shell for natural gas and oil.

Comment

I mean drills for shale.

Comment

But they should start an educational program that once you complete it you would be qualified to do a serious dig on your own land. For example you and a few of your buddies complete such a program then do a dig on your land. I might even be okay to agree to someone supervising my dig in a case like that on my land as long as I get to keep the artifacts. Not that I wouldn't let some go if they offered me enough money for it. I'll have to do some more research before I suggest my brother get that authenticated.

Comment

Uncover what archeology is, and what archeologists do across the National Park Service. Discover people, places, and things from the past. Find education material for teachers and kids. Plan a visit or volunteer, intern, or find a job.

Most states have programs like this one set up for you to learn proper methods of digging. Join your States Archaeology Society go to a meeting and ask questions of members. DOn't be shy about what you want to learn! They will put you to work and it is not easy work! But if you want to learn and never did college for Archaeology then there are other resources in Avocational Archaeology
                Good Luck
                TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

SDhunter wrote:

Jack
                  From what I understand from that 1979 act,  you may pick up arrowheads located on the
                  surface of the ground,  even on public land and Indian land. Its in section 6. It was the
                  Carter clause,  enacted by President Jimmy Carter,  because he was an avid collector. 
                  This probably doesn't include state parks right?  Do local state laws trump this Federal law?
                  Gary
                  ps.  after rereading the law,"partly",  public land is defined as,  1: national park system,  2:  national wildlife refuge system,  3:  national forest system.  and all other lands, the fee title to
                  which is held by the US.   
                  So...... this means you can surface hunt in the parks and on other Gov. land,  and Indian land??
                  Gary
                    I would not touch any artifact on Federal or State Land even if its on the surface. The Jimmy Carter clause says one thing but others parts of the law say another, so I would not take the chance.
                  Digging or picking up artifacts on your own land is not a probelm in Arkansas or Texas as long as you are not digging graves, but some states digging is a problem so you need to know the laws or your state.
                  Jack

Comment

Hoss wrote:

http://www.nps.gov/archeology/PUBS/TECHBR/Tch9.htm
                    Most states have programs like this one set up for you to learn proper methods of digging. Join your States Archaeology Society go to a meeting and ask questions of members. DOn't be shy about what you want to learn! They will put you to work and it is not easy work! But if you want to learn and never did college for Archaeology then there are other resources in Avocational Archaeology
                    Good Luck
                      That's great and I think I'd be interested in something like that, but what I was really meaning is if they really wanted to document and possibly learn of new discoveries they should open it up so that people with property that might possibly have such things on it be able to benefit from it as in financially as well as educationally. Not just a hourly wage as if they were employed by them to dig on their own land but as owners of the land and with the proper education they should own what they find on the land with the exception of actual bodies, that's a different story. It's just a thought, because I'm sure there is a lot of artifacts already uncovered that no one has documented, aren't planning on ever letting it go, that no one knows about and even if that person were to pass away with no heirs, when people uncover it in his home, they wouldn't have a clue where it came from and no way of completely authenticating his collection.

Comment

Okay Hoss I didn't see the link at first, I'm in the middle of reading it now. Sounds interesting so far. Thanks

Comment

Yeah I will be checking into that program, hopefully I'll be able to do this.

Comment

go buy an arifacts book by werstern artifacs.com in his book he explains the legal issues, but there is a clause in the new law during Jimmy Carter presidency-he collected arrowheads- and it is legal to pick these up as long it is not on federal property. There are other books on westernartifacts by attorneys that go over this. so, I had same questions, bought book and feel good about it now. There are too many misinformed souls out there on this subject. go ahead gary+

Comment

midas57 wrote:

go buy an arifacts book by werstern artifacs.com in his book he explains the legal issues, but there is a clause in the new law during Jimmy Carter presidency-he collected arrowheads- and it is legal to pick these up as long it is not on federal property. There are other books on westernartifacts by attorneys that go over this. so, I had same questions, bought book and feel good about it now. There are too many misinformed souls out there on this subject. go ahead gary+
                              You are giving wrong advise if you are telling Gary he can collect surface finds on State or Federal land and he needs to check his state law on collecting on private property each state is different.

Comment

Don't worry Greywolf, I don't hunt on federal land. I think I'm done blowing off steam. I was mainly concerned on what I can do on my own land. Hoss's link that he posted up there has cooled me off a bit. I'm taking interest in that program. When I first started this topic I was a little nervous that I would get negative feedback from some (due to the touchy subject), but now I'm glad I brought it up. I've learned a little more and hopefully this conversation will help others as well. By the way my name's Greg. lol

Comment

Oh I see SDhunter is Gary.

Comment

Working...
                                X