Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nearly stone free field. Blessing or curse?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nearly stone free field. Blessing or curse?

The cornfield I’ve been hunting is nearly stone free. Fire cracked rock in concentrated areas along with a few fire ring cobbles in the same areas are the only stone I’m finding. The field is large with no stone piles at the edges I usually see around fields from farmers removing them over the years. Sure makes for easier hunting I guess. Glaciers in my area have seem to have plowed this field clean while others down the road are loaded with stones. I’ve only found one small lightly used hammer stone in the field. Sometimes I wish there were more stones so I had a chance to find more hardstone tools. Just an observation of mine that may not mean a thing.
    Uncle Trav- Southwest Michigan

Depending on how deep the hard pan is I would assume. The points will sink over time to that level. If they plow the fields that wouldn't be a problem but if they no til it well then that would be different.
    NW Georgia,

Comment

They plow fairly deep every spring. And almost no stones means fairly easy pickins. I found other points after the planter went through and busted up the clods and did a shallow mix of the soil. I knew an old farmer years ago that had monstrous piles of stone at the back of his field he once told me “Son, every time I pick up a rock and throw it on that pile five more show up for it’s funeral in the field.”
      Uncle Trav- Southwest Michigan

Comment

• Hal Gorges
        Hal Gorges commented
        Editing a comment
        That’s hilarious Trav..but tru.

• Hoss
        Hoss commented
        Editing a comment
        That's funny lol

It is interesting how the glaciers went through here. Some places the earth is scoured others rocks everywhere. Some fields I walk have 3 different soils, some loads of slate some none, one loads of workable chert others none. Every field is rather unique due to those glaciers.
      Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

That's one of my rules I have to remove all of the big rocks I see when I walk the fields
        NW Georgia,

Comment

I've come across some fields like that, for example a field will be loaded and the one across the street and/ or right next to it won't even have a rock. If I come across a new field and it happens to have something I will check the others out by doing a quick walk around the edges and cut through 2 or 3 sections in the middle. I've found a few points that way and not found any other material or rock. It is crazy how that can play out sometimes.
          🐜 🎤 SW Georgia

Comment

Working...
          X