First Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Hunt

I commenced my first hunt today. I largely drove along a local river looking for areas above the flood plain that were not too steep. I soon realized that nearly all of the potentially good areas have houses on them or are heavily wooded. The river itself is quite muddy and the banks quite steep. I haven’t located any gravel or sandbar areas. I walked a few recently plowed fields slightly above the initial floodplain, but found nothing except for a broken piece of china, which did not appear to be old. I scouted one area that I am going to return to that has a few creeks that flow into the river. Perhaps, there will be some gravel and sandbars along these creeks. I can see that patience and persistence is necessary . . . as well as a trained eye.

Good luck.   It does take quite alot of walking to find a good spot.  Hopefully
    you will find it soon.
    Gary
    South Dakota

Comment

Welcome to the forum Missouri Mule, be patient and persistent, it will pay off before you know it.
      Southern Connecticut

Comment

Missouri Mule think you are in an artifact rich area there in the Mo. Had to use google to see where in Missouri your from. Try to find local hunters -and- make friends. Good Hunting!!
        Joe.

Comment

MM while you are scouting those places of higher ground look out for secondary water sources. A creek or a stream running into the main river. Another tip is look at street names on the local maps. If you find a field near arrowhead rd or arrowhead ln check it out. They named it that for a reason. There are many clues you will pick up along the way. Good luck and be safe.
          Hoss
          TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Steep may be good , the last point I found I used my binoculars and looked down this steep bank and there it was . It took me some time to get it but I did . Don't give up keep looking

Comment

Also where I did find that last point not alot of gravel or stones

Comment

Thank you all for your encouragement and tips.  I just went over a map a found a site where a creek runs down some hills into the main river on land that I have permission to hunt on.  I plan to spend some time combing the area.  I also plan to visit the local historical society library and do some research . . . see if I can find any info.  I'll keep you all posted.  I look forward to the day when I can share my first find.

Comment

We are looking forward to seeing it!  Before you know it, you will be telling us new things!  Keep up the hunt
                  Andrew

Comment

Working...
                  X