Creeks in NE Texas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creeks in NE Texas?

Looking for advice on this topic. Now that the wife and I are retired, we are thinking of moving to NE Texas, perhaps in the Tyler area which would put us closer to our kids and extended family. We were already thinking about a small place, 5-10 acres with a pond or creek so we could actually see some surface water compared to here in West Texas, lol!
    Now that I am hooked on NA artifact hunting, would it be reasonable to think that a creek (flowing year round or seasonal) would have artifacts? If so, that would be a nice benefit! The reason I ask is the other option would be to buy in a subdivision that might have a lake nearby for fishing, kayaking, etc., but that waterway (being public) would not allow us to hunt for artifacts. In which case we would have to try and get permission to hunt on private land. Thoughts?
    Midland Co, TX - "My neck hurts from looking down!"

I don't live in Texas or know about their creeks but i would take the 5 to 10 acres as opposed to town. If the place has artifacts you don't have to ask anyone to hunt. You don't have to be concerned with hunters or crops just hunt when you want. I would check the taxes on property also, you may be able to own 30 or 40 acres almost as cheep as 5 to 10.
    South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

In pasco co, Florida, if you own 10 acres or more and plant a bunch of watermelons and squash, you can get it zoned agricultural and taxes will be cheaper...Do a walk through the creek before you buy, flakes =points, but of course you know that, good luck on your new adventures.
      Floridaboy.

Comment

Texas used to be a easy place to hunt artifacts in creeks and all over. I've heard it's a different story now just like so many other states. I'd buy my own stretch of land if you have that option.
        NW Georgia,

Comment

Oh the artifacts are there, finding them may be a difficult problem. Good luck !
          Lubbock County Tx

Comment

Not all creeks in NE Tx. have artifacts. The Tyler area does have some great places to hunt with permission. I'm about 30 miles south. There are tax breaks on 20 acres or more in Tx. Good luck Hunting !
            east Tx.

Comment

Thanks for the input everyone. Having our own property would definitely be an advantage. I guess I’m like the NA Indians, I’m attracted to water, lol. If I knew then what I know now I would have looked everywhere I walked while hunting the Piney Woods in East TX, farms in KS, eastern CO plains, north & west TX ranches. Not to mention all of the creeks and streams I have fly fished in NM & CO. I still have my quail lease in Crane, CO TX and will see if there are any likely spots on Google Earth Pro before seeking artifact hunting permission. Seems kind of mutually exclusive, though, to be watching my Brittany work a field or looking for trout to cast to and trying to look down and find arrowheads. At least I will be aware now of the possibility!
              Midland Co, TX - "My neck hurts from looking down!"

Comment

Working...
              X