A brief observation from a novice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A brief observation from a novice

I go daily to the forum to see what’s been newly found and to learn whatever I can. It is, however, somewhat frustrating to see the amazing quantities of artifacts being found weekly by many dedicated artifact hinters. I am sure that there are many hunters with the same frustrations. I also realize that these successful hunters put many hours into it and have had plenty of times when they came up with nothing. I have gone out several times since last posting an artifact and I have yet to find my first point or any other artifact, for that matter. For example, this last Saturday I went to a new spot where I had obtained permission, which location seems quite promising, only to discover that the areas where artifacts would likely be found are under thick fields of lush hay or are buried under many feet of mud (from recent flooding in the last several years). After several hours, I then went to another spot where I am also looking to locate a campsite from 1832, where some 150 Missouri militiamen camped during the Black Hawk War. I finally managed to get down into a creek (it’s extremely steep and muddy) where there was considerable gravel and small stones deposited by water flow, but only came up with two creek polished pieces of flint. I then finished the day by going back to the spot where I found the pendant, my honey hole so-to-speak, which has since grown into a jungle. After several hours hunting and 180 miles of driving I called it a day. I am fast discovering that finding good locations and getting permission to hunt them are by and far the greatest challenges for me. It does encourage me to see that some hunters actually go out together and make it day looking for artifacts, but I take it that that is a rare event, given the need to protect the few own honey holes one may have worked so hard to get. That’s too bad, as I would love to go out with an experienced hunter and learn how they read an area and hunt, as I am sure others would as well.

Mule I understand your frustration When I started looking I would come up with NOTTA most of the time but I just kept looking trying different creeks and different areas above creeks and bingo when you least expect it there one is . Keep walking and looking you will score sooner or later.

Comment

Thomas, I feel your frustration. Yesterday I was able to go out with another member from this forum, and we did have a little luck. But there are a lot of days where I have gone out and have only found that I sunburn. I have meet other people around the country and have gone on hunts with them, but they also know that when I get back to their area I am looking them up and not their sites. It is harder to find someone in the same area to give up their sites, but you can find them. I always enjoy going out with someone, it is fun to see them find something, as well as it is fun to show what you have found. Be patient if your are finding flint or chips you will find that first point and that will be one sweet moment. Chances are that you will ogle it for a while then put in your pocket, check it every five minutes to make sure it is real and that you still have it have, and have a very wide grin on your face. Your first find is coveted by most all on this site and most would gladly give you a picture frame full of points to have it.
      Always good hunting!
      Chase
      Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Chase is right, that first point is special. Here is mine, nothing spectacular but I wouldn't take anything for it ! Keep looking.
        Columbia, SC 1961

Comment

chase wrote:

Thomas, I feel your frustration. Yesterday I was able to go out with another member from this forum, and we did have a little luck. But there are a lot of days where I have gone out and have only found that I sunburn. I have meet other people around the country and have gone on hunts with them, but they also know that when I get back to their area I am looking them up and not their sites. It is harder to find someone in the same area to give up their sites, but you can find them. I always enjoy going out with someone, it is fun to see them find something, as well as it is fun to show what you have found. Be patient if your are finding flint or chips you will find that first point and that will be one sweet moment. Chances are that you will ogle it for a while then put in your pocket, check it every five minutes to make sure it is real and that you still have it have, and have a very wide grin on your face. Your first find is coveted by most all on this site and most would gladly give you a picture frame full of points to have it.
          Always good hunting!
          Chase
            I know what you mean by saying ogle chase I tend to stare at my finds for bit before picking up

Comment

Thanks for all of the encouraging replies. I know what you mean by ogling an artifact, as I from time to time pick up the pendant I found and just shake my head in unbelief that I found it while actually looking for artifacts.  It's like a dream.  I see I need perseverance with a plan!  One question, do you folks have any tips on how to get permission, as that is hard to come by, at least in my neck of the woods?

Comment

Well put Chase.
              I think one of the first rules of artifact hunting is perseverance.
              Talk to everyone you know and let them know your interest and love of the hobby. Most could care less, some might have a slight interest and then there are those who enjoy the hobby or know someone who does. Get to know or meet those people and ask questions. Learn the lay of the land around you, study maps, old and new, use google earth on your computer, read historical accounts and archaeology records, check out the local museums, attend artifact shows, that and more can give you lots of info. Once you find out where to go and get permission ( which also takes lots of perseverance!)there are those who will in no way let you on there property, there are those who will let you on only at certain periods and under certain rules and there are those who say walk all you want! Next is walk your rear end off, some fields or creeks produce better than others, sometimes you find a handful in three hours, sometimes you walk for hours and find nothing. I spent close to ten hours in known producing fields this weekend in three hours found what will be posted shortly, the other seven hours, nada. Well there is always next weekend, hope it rains a lot! Perseverance!
              Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

There is one location I managed to find some years ago.  I'll have to seek permission again.  It's a hard to find and mostly obscured cave that has all kinds of legends going back to pioneer days and earlier (many from newspapers of 1930's).  My problem is that it is a cave, one with a very small opening, something I don't particularly care for. Perhaps I will have to get up the nerve to check it out, though I definitely am not fond of small tight places.

Comment

Mule, been hunting 40+ years. Some days you get chicken, some days you get feathers. As other members have stated, keep looking. Not sure what you're terrain is like, but back east it varies. I prefer the plateaus near a creek, spring or river or where two of any of the afore mentioned meet. Flood plains can be productive along a riverbed also. Goodluck!

Comment

when i hunt new spots or look for new spots i tend to stike out more often then not.i try to look for flakes and chips the more the better .then i know im on the right track.

Comment

Mule,  Don't get frustrated when you see what others find.  Eventually if you keep looking and talking
                      to people,  you'll find a good spot.  It's  kind of a weird feeling a person gets when he thinks,"gosh that guy is finding all the artifacts",  but he's probably in a different part of the country, where you or I will never be to look,  so he's not finding artifacts that I could have found.  There are artifacts waiting in your area,  that are waiting for you to find.  I often ask people I know if they have ever found artifacts on their land,  and often they haven't,  but have said their dad used to,  and they usually know just where they were found.  I think thats a pretty good way of finding spots.  Someone else has already discovered it.   You just have to do a little
                      investigation.     Gary
                      South Dakota

Comment

I have read this thread thinking of a reply because there has been some good advise. When I first started, property owners were a lot more relaxed and it was easy to get on good place. Don't follow legends, that cave sounds like a wash. If it were an overhang ...different story. A good place to start is a rural coffee shop. Hang out a little, maybe tell some one you want to find an arrowhead or ask if anyone around there finds them. Hate to say it, but kinda work the crowd. Get to know the people in the area you hunt. I once had an old school teacher that owned some property next to a super site that I had been told it was impossible to get permission to hunt. Long story short, permission to hunt one property and some name dropping led to the other. Visit local libraries. Mine has a local history room that has help me in the past. Google Earth is an amazing new tool also I recommend. Maps and Plat books can very useful, I collect them lol. You seem to have the passion and I hope to see some nice stuff from you.
                        Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

mule I got off today early from work , I checked his spot with a little creek running thru it . Anyway long story short I walked this area for bout 3 hours saw flint but came up short . But I'm gonna get out there again as soon I can .

Comment

Much more looking than finding in this hobby. Lots of great advise from all! Keep looking for new areas...Knock on doors. The worst thing that can happen is they say no....or let their dog out on ya! :woohoo: I have found a couple of good spots by bring up "Arrowheads" at rummage sales! Ya got to love the hunt as much as the find. I walked about 125 miles last year with only 7 "kinda" whole points. Around 30-35 so far this year with only a couple brokes and a discoidal. Keep looking and you shall find!

Comment

I do want to make it clear that my frustration is not that others are finding artifacts and I am not, as it only encourages me all the more when I see the finds being made daily.  My frustration comes down to just one issue . . . finding spots where I can put in the miles and time.  Between all the many replies (thank you) and time spent looking over many past postings, a number of things are clear.  One, there is no doubt that hunters that have continued success, which includes their fair share of times when they come up with nothing, put a lot hours and miles into hunting.  Second, and more on point with my circumstances, many are able to locate areas where they can put in miles walking open creeks, open terrain, and fields.  Of the three we have the fields, so this where I need to put in the time gaining permission.  Once again, your replies have been most helpful, thank you.

Comment

Working...
                              X