Diggin' Tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diggin' Tools

In West Central FL, most use only a shovel to dig. No rocks except chert and coral. Only a few inches to maybe a foot max. of "soil", then it's sand all the way down to hardpan at 4-6 feet. Woodland points are in the top foot, then often a foot or two of sterile sand, then archaic on down. Paleos are often found on or close to the hardpan. Hardpan here is like an orange-brown hard crumbly, sandy, minerally material. There is often a "false" hardpan with a thickness of a few inches, and under that is sand again and goodies. I don't know what geological process forms this false hardpan though likely it's water deposits. I always dig to the hardpan. After all that work I'd hate to think of what I left in the hole a few feet deeper.
    We only screen if on a site where we might find tiny objects or if looking for a broken off piece.
    We sit on rubber mats and scrape down the walls of our holes. Some make square holes, some round.
    A "Pony" shovel is ground/beveled and is heavy guage, cuts most roots and shaves clean. Smaller shovels to get in tight are also beveled.

Pics from my Phattest Phase   Note the Phalse Hardpan in this hole.

This hole is really 5 feet deep, just getting ready to empty spoil

HIIIGH FIIVE!! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
    Professor Shellman
    Tampa Bay

thats a great post tom, looks like you've got those shovels tuned (you forgot to tell us about the way a point rings when it locked in wet sand,lol, love that sound!) that false hardpan makes me want to redig  a few spots, hey you ever get up around orange lake maybe seen you there, that brings up another post who got the nerve, here's a picture of me, my wife, my son, his wife, and the marion co.sheriff, the only one i could find but i'll take one soon, thanks again enjoyed your post,,twoshovel

Comment

Tom you are definately slimmer in this photo, hair is a bit darker too.....you dyeing it now ?

I guess you buy sunscreen by the gallon !

Comment

Hiiigh Fiiive, Butch!!  I'm dyin' here LOLOLOL.
        Professor Shellman
        Tampa Bay

Comment

Now that's funny right there:::::::::I don't care who you are!!!!!!!
          I have had the pleasure of digging in Sandy situation once.
          We here in Texas have such a wide variety of occupation site
          soils, you have to go prepared.
          Sometimes for some pretty grueling situations like:
          Half the dig site is fist sized and larger stones.(Often referred to as Middens)
          Deep occupation layer. (Lots of overburdon)
          Use a little caution when digging deep the sides may and can collapse and bury you alive.
          I think I'll stop right here, it just dawned on me to start another thread.
          Anyway nice dig and did you have a productive day in them thar holes in the ground.

Have a good 4th.
          Bone2stone
          It is a "Rock" when it's on the ground.
          It is a "Specimen" when picked up and taken home.

​Jessy B.
          Circa:1982

Comment

Tomclark, Those shovels showed a lot of use. Very impressive I must say. In all these years I don't think I ever had a shovel long enough to show wear like that.
            Now that I'm closer to Oldfartland I use this tool whenever I get the chance. The only problem is that you need a backhoe or loader to keep up with it. It will sift a yard of soil in a few minutes and exhaust the screened throw dirt out the conveyor. It's great for salvage digging, you don't miss a thing. I even have a 1/4" bead screen that fits under the conveyor when conditions allow. I wish I had more time and places to use it.
            Thanks, Lone Star

FGH Check out my artifact store at Lone Star Artifact Reclaim

Comment

OMG, LoneStar!!!!
              You could take that sweetie on a trip around the US!!!!
              I've heard of a few sites where that 1/4 inch mesh would miss tiny seed beads!
              Muhah!
              Professor Shellman
              Tampa Bay

Comment

Cool sifter Lonestar that bad boy is way too clean. You need a place to set that up and go to work.
                TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Tom,  I didn't know you were husky !
                  TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Yo' Fellas,   I'm not one for turning down a digging oppertunity. I don't care if it's a hand digging or machine digging, it all needs to be done ! So much dirt, so little time!!!
                    My sifter has a farm machinery tag and it pulls like it's not there. It's made of tubular steel, so it's pretty light and I got 4 wheel drive. It will go anywhere I can get to.
                    Those pics were when it was just born. It don't look so clean anymore, but it works great. 
                    Have Screen--Will Travel, ......I always say.
                       Thanks, Lone Star
                    FGH Check out my artifact store at Lone Star Artifact Reclaim

Comment

Working...
                    X