Labeling artifacts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Labeling artifacts

So far my artifact collection consists of one frame and a cardboard box full of ziplock bags sorted by site. I like to keep track of which artifacts were found in the same site over time, but I would also like to make some frames with the best of the best.

How do you label artifacts so you can keep track of them in a way that doesn’t cause damage?

Also, what code/system do you use to catalog?

I don’t want to spend too much time on it, but it would be nice to keep track a little better.

First initial of farm field , creek or site name with date and numeral 1 then 2 then 3 then 4 you can take photos and save the photos to file and keep a catalog of the full names of the site, farm or creek. You could also write very small on one side of artifacts. I suggest if you write on them to use clear nail polish on one small section. over the nail polish carefully add some white out, let dry and write the alpha numeric catalog number on it. In this way you can remove it and re-cataloge at any time using acetone. It will take the clear nail polish and anything above it off and leave the rock alone.
    Photos printed with date and where found by whom on the reverse is good too but ink and printer can drain the wallet.
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

I was hoping for some non-permanent way to label directly on the artifact. Thanks for the ideas!

Comment

Put a drop of Elmer's school glue on it and let dry. Then write on that. Glue can be soaked off later if you decide to.

Comment

At the minimum, County & State are nice. The artifacts will be around longer than we will, and sooner or later the history you bring to the artifact will be lost to time. I have a lot of old relics that have a code, but if you don't have the catalog the code is meaningless.
          Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

I think one of the best ways is to carry a small pocket pad. As Hoss said "name with date and numeral 1 then 2 then 3 then 4 ". Almost everybody has a cell or smartphone these days. When I find an artifact I use (MAPCORD) G.P.S. coordinates. Note in your pad the object and Lat/Lon. It only takes a minute and you have an almost pinpoint location for that Artifact. You can keep a bigger better form or folder at home or on a computer. Kim
            Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

You can also write pertinent info down on index cards and slip them behind the batting of your frame. A small label or business card size title card can fit in the corner of the frame with a site name. It don’t have enough artifacts to warrant an index or numerical system but I feel it’s important to keep site specific finds together to tell the story of that site. Every little clue helps to reveal a larger story.
              Uncle Trav- Southwest Michigan

Comment

I don't write on anything but I do put some site boxes/frames together. All of my PF shell stuff is local and all my PF lithics are from west central gulf coastal to Gainesville, FL.... Yeah I know this is bad form but wah lol.
                Professor Shellman
                Tampa Bay

Comment

I always thought GPS # would be good for surface finds but just separate mine by style Mostly I
                  New Jersey

Comment

Working...
                  X