First Recent Trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Recent Trip

I have tried artifact hunting before, but not seriously and not successfully. I have decided to give it a more serious try. I am in the Southeast (Aiken County, South Carolina) and went yesterday to check out a creek that I have walked along in the past when I wasn't looking for anything. This was an exploratory trip, as I had my dog. She loves to walk and we do it every day, but is old and not in good health, so I never push her too hard and our walks are short compared to when she was in her prime where we could go all day. She did enjoy walking through the shallow water, but if I am going to hunt artifacts seriously, I need to spend more time and be able to focus, so will go back alone.

Anyway, my question is, is there a way to actually know if a place may be productive? This small creek seems to meet all the criteria, sandbanks and some high eroding banks. Lots of rocks, etc., scattered around in and out of the very shallow water. This creek gets a lot of action in heavy rains, things are always moving there. I didn't find anything of note on this one short trip. I plan to go back and spend more time and cover more of it. I also plan to go back after rains, etc.

Are there any rules of thumb for knowing if this may yield results? There were certainly native Americans in this area for centuries and, while this creek has probably been affected by civilization, I also think it has been there a long time. My feeling is that this is probably as good an area to look as any and I have permission to be there.

Thanks for any hints.

Campsites are typically located on a sunny bluff above the floodplain of a creek or river. Artifacts will wash into the creek over time and sometimes wind up on gravel bars. Remember that small creeks and rivers can meander through a valley floor over the centuries. A fallen tree can redirect the flow of the creek. I have had success in creeks and rivers along the washed out banks that can expose an arrowhead. I have also found a few when the water lever is low during a dry spell and the bottom gravel bar is exposed. Best of Luck!

Comment

Thank you, trying to visualize the changes over centuries is a challenge for sure.

Comment

Working...
      X