places to hunt nearby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• places to hunt nearby

Hello, My name is Cricket. I moved to OK from Texas a few years ago. I was an avid hunter in Tx but have not found anything locally since i moved here. I am hoping to meet like minded ppl to hangout with, hunt with, and enjoy this hobby. I find it to be relaxing and theraputic. I went to Tulsa last week and found a couple of things. If you can help please contact me. Maybe we could hang out and talk shop. Thanks
    ps.... I have attached pics of what i found near tulsa

Hey Cricket,  Oklahoma looks like a great place to fall in love (with this hobby) 
    Click on the youTube logo in the video to see some of the other Indian artifacts this guy collects.
    I'm sure you'll hookup with another lover soon - Best Wishes from MD. , DON
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhQb31hwv3k
    If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Comment

LOL.. Thanks Don..  It seems to me that norman sits on top of a red clay mound. I can drive a few hours and hit rivers.. But am hoping for creeks nearby.  How is hunting up where you live?

Comment

MD. is absolutely loaded with artifacts -and- history, but with the advent of 'no-till' farming it has put a great deal of hunting pressure on the sites that are plowed. Throw in the laws of the DNR, a the plant called hydrilla (that blocks the waterways for six months of the year), and housing encroachment: it ain't like it used to be - still, I guess I'm never more than 20 min. away from finding artifacts when I leave the house.
        How far are you from the Canadian River - There's always some farms backed up to the waterways. A kayak may be the way to go ~~~
        If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Comment

cricket71 wrote:

I can drive a few hours and hit rivers.. But am hoping for creeks nearby. 
            Oklahoma produces many fine artifacts cricket. I would definitely recommend the river/creek type of hunting. Some will have the right conditions to produce artifacts and some won't.  -11KBP

Comment

Cricket here is a site of a guy from I think Tulsa who hunts alot on the Arkansas river. Try wbreckinridge.com has alot of really great looking artifacts. Let me know if you find it.

Comment

Thanks 11KBP    I have been looking at creeks and rivers closer to home.. The little river looks promising if i can find a place to get on it. It is an adventure learning to hunt differently.

Comment

Hey Don,  I went on the Canadian a few weeksback. Did not see one rock.. lol  We have not had rain in a while and the sand has taken over at the river.  I will try again later. Thanks

Comment

Thanks Spanky, I am going to look right now! Oh, Merry Christmas!

Comment

cricket71 wrote:

Hey Don,  I went on the Canadian a few weeksback. Did not see one rock.. lol  We have not had rain in a while and the sand has taken over at the river.  I will try again later. Thanks
                      From what I have seen of the Canadian it appears to be too sandy for suitable hunting.
                    Perhaps some Oklahoma hunters could verify this. I have also read it has a quite a bit
                    of quicksand so be very careful on that particular river.

Comment

I mean no disrespect, but asking someone to give up any hunting spot probably won't lead to good results.  You may as well be asking for the PIN number to their bank account, GPS coordinates to their secret fishing hole or what kind of wine their sister likes.
                      I see requests like this all of the time and I can save you some time, it ain't gonna happen.  I would recommend starting out at any water source near you and walking it.  Put in the time, do the legwork.  Walk it out and find some of the spots near you - they ARE there.  Water is the key!

Comment

Wow.. My intention was not to be harmful, i am not after someones first  born, ss number, and certianly not their honey hole.  I just wanted some advice and was hoping to make some friends in my area.  I dont have any of those here and am a full time student and single mother of three with no family or friends here. I thought this coul possibly be a way to change that.  Back home i had hunting budies that turned into life long friends. 
                        I have been studying the history, geology, and old maps of this area. I know which creeks are old and how they run and used to run.  I hike often here and put in legwork.  I am not sure if and who burne you making you think that everyone is evil and after your favorite spot.  Some of us actually believe the relationships formed while enjoying this hobby are more important then the hobby itself. 
                        Thanks for the tip and judgement

Comment

Lots very nice artifacts to be found in this state the problem ive found huntin the Canadian is its sand theres very little to stop artifacts if you can find gravel bars on it thatd be youre best bet there are artifacts are there somewere.the only i know in that area is Shawn you might catch him on and ask him

Comment

Thanks Ray...  I know there has to be ppl here that enjoy this hobby.  Im hoping i will run into them and make some friends.  When it warms up i plan on hitting a few creeks in the area.  Merry Christmas

Comment

While i am very new at this I do live in OKC.  Look for water, where creeks meet rivers would be a great bet or where 2 creeks meet.  Google Earth is your friend, and also old maps. Research as much as you can before you waste the gas money driving around, or not if you just want some exercise walking creeks =)

Comment

Working...
                              X