Use Modern Technology for Aerial Views of An Area Where You Live

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Use Modern Technology for Aerial Views of An Area Where You Live

- Some Real Estate Internet Sites have Satellite views of Farms and Empty Real Estate for sale. Browse...
    - DeLorme makes decent Map Atlases for roads. Buy one for your State. Browse it as if it is the Rosetta Stone for Indian Sites.
    - When you find an area that you discovered some percussion or pressure flakes... get a USGS Quadrangle or larger for that area.
    - If you want to FIND Indian Sites... you first have to Think Indian. Not as a 21st Century Homo Sapien with a Cell Phone. Go snake eye...
    - Understand that rocks are rocks and Silicates are Flint, Agate, Chert, Obsidian and other usable materials.
    - No, Indian Head Cents and Buffalo Nickels indicate a Site... but maybe an Old Cabin that was there at one time.

When looking for a site... someone who has spent years finding some to walk will most likely shrug their shoulders. Pirates never talk when they bury the 'goods' either. Often those that did the digging end up IN the pit. They could not return or tell anyone. Neither do Artifact Collectors.

Imagine the topography you see today. OK? Hmmmm. Then go back 1000 years, 2500 years... 9,000 years... the terrain would have been different. The overlooking hillside may have eroded back 100 feet and the site washed down the side of the hill. Start on the side of a site, downhill and work your way UP. I could give you some examples, but... they would all be lies and tall tales.

Farmers use to plow deep, turning over lots of top soil in the Fall. Use to. Now, for soil conservation, they barely scratch the surface. That changed everything. Plowed fields also broke a lot of stone tools, gouged ground axes and took the tops off of large storage pottery. Today... a field in the Family for 100 years... has provided lots of broken points, tools and pottery.

A massive Flooding Incident in 'Indian Site Country' is a wish come true... after it dries out some. Dirt washes further away than solid items and flat chipped tools. Flooding is BAD for modern Human Beans, but for an artifact collector... opportunity.

You develop an 'eye' at a glance for possible sites to check. Some have no eye to find loose change at a supermarket parking lot. They could not find a junk tire thrown off the side of the road. If you fall in that category, take a friend with you who can SEE shapes in their mind to... check out. A small tip of a point to someone with imagination... finds all of the good stuff. A Ground Axe may look like a small boulder in a field... but fine grained granite is not found where a Glacier may have dumped tons of good material for Axe grinding. Think. Think. And get with it.

When you can think like a Native American migrating from one area where the timber has been taken down, they stash the 'goods' that are too bulky, to come back later. Celts in Missouri fall into that category. With polished 'digging ends' showing they were used for a long time and stashed.

There is no Archaeology Professor who is going to give you a list of places to dig, hunt or pick up artifacts. They are happy to tell you what you may have found, but will never tell you where to find anything... but a library. There hide all of the secrets... your local University Library. Yep...

When you find flakes... you are on track. You go from that spot and go in larger circles to find the center of a camp site. You may be on the Center, or at a far edge. Indians did not stay anywhere for 40 years... unless Southwest Pueblos... but they get upset with people digging around...

Fossil Hunting is no different. They are easy to find when you understand Trilobites are as old as 500,000,000 years ago, and you are looking in a Limestone that is 2,000.000 years old and Trilobites have been Extinct Since the end of the Permian.

Learning by Trial and Error is hard. But... once you figure an area out, you will sit back, look at a nice point and go Ahhhhhhh. Success!

Some examples of what others have walked and found something.
    Attached Files

Comment

• B.Rubble
      B.Rubble commented
      Editing a comment
      Good information. I would like to add to it by saying you can also go to your county auditor website and get aerial views usually takin in winter when the leaves are off, and you can also click on a property to get the owners contact information

Just having some fun so added a couple more photographs. They are worth seeing than having to read about the photo.

In western Colorado... walk the outcrops where there are NO roads. Petroglyphs abound.

TeePee Rings. There are a thousand south of Spanish Diggings near Lusk, Wyoming. Was there in the early 1970's. The Rings go as far as you can see on the ridge south of the Quarry. Not a single Flake. They quarried for Cores of sold material and packed it out. It is a mystery to me, but someone may have an answer. Sorry, no photographs as it would have before Digital Cameras.

It is time to walk the Blue Heelers. We all need exercise to be ready for Spring and Summer Camping in places nobody wants to visit. The rougher and tougher the camping... you lay back, let the Heelers run as much as they like and hope we find some agates washing out of the volcanics.

When you get old... and smart... life is great. Grey hair is from thinking... not from getting old.
    Attached Files

Comment

This is crazy but even real estate now is on Ariel maps . If you look up your property it’s all mapped out for you and all your neighbors .
      You can also go to hunt sites and it’s the same thing .

Comment

• Hal Gorges
        Hal Gorges commented
        Editing a comment
        👍🇺🇸..

Good info for hunting in the west...
      .i might add If you hunt Florida your gonna have to switch gears, lotsa trees here..No shortcuts, just hafta put in the time..I prolly coulda used a dog with a backpack though🤗👍🇺🇸.
      Floridaboy.

Comment

• Tam
        Tam commented
        Editing a comment
        If it’s not dog season then it’s no bueno Hal .
        Plus the dog and his noise and scent will send those deer packing .
        Been dog hunting in Fl . Wayne’s family grew up doing this . Each spring in Georgia we spend 3 weeks clearing out briars etc to get through the trees .
        You just need a good old black walnut tree to clear a path . Google that . The roots of a black walnut have a natural herbicide in it that many plants cannot tolerate . We have an area with a few mixed with pines and it’s a clear path to those stands . 200 year old white acorn trees and it’s a popcorn stand for the animals .

• Hal Gorges
        Hal Gorges commented
        Editing a comment
        What a great life Tammy..Soooo happy for you..Do you know anything that will keep them %#@&&* squirrels off my screen enclosure

B. Rubble... that is excellent. I am too old fashioned and primitive when it comes to technology out here in the West.

What I have found that once you found an area you would like to 'visit' to hunt. I actually go to the door of the Ranch or Farm, knock and when the door opens... who answers already does not want you around.

Having your wife with you, or a son or daughter will give the person answering your knock a totally different First Impression. I explain what we are interested in doing, fossils or walking the fields for artifacts. Often they are a bit surprised you stopped to ask, first. If they decide you must be a City Slicker pulling a fast one... I offer if I can do something to EARN my entry. I can check fence while hunting. See if anything is not in place. If something they lost, we can keep an eye open for it. We offer to show whatever we find, but would like to keep it.

Rarely are we asked to put our pickup in reverse and leave only dust. Some we have come back. I will send them a thank you card or letter from our first visit. They know if you left gates open, when they were closed. Often a gate is left open and we do not close the gate in that case.

When pulling up to the Ranch or Farm House... the first thing owner looks at... is Not You... your vehicle's License Plate. In Wyoming... you can have a Wyoming Plate and then they look at the County Number (1-23) to see what county you are from. Everywhere is different and has different customs. I had County 2 Wyoming for awhile (Cheyenne)... I went to the University and got a County 5 plate (Laramie)... better received than County 1 or 2 plates. Montana also has numbered counties, but many more. Just remember that each part of the USA has different 'customs'.
      Last edited by SevenOut; 02-03-2023, 06:07 PM.

Comment

Historicaerials is a great site aerial photos from the 1920 to present day !!! Just Slide and compare find a lot of old sites using it .!!!!
        New Jersey

Comment

TerraServer​ was my go to for aerial photos. Was a great site but I don’t think it is viewable anymore.
          Uncle Trav- Southwest Michigan

Comment

What should you be looking for in local libraries?

Comment

Many libraries have local history collections and in some cases regional archives. Maps such as plat maps, geological surveys and historical maps have good info. My community once had a “pioneer society” in the old days that printed recollections of early pioneers that can be valuable. Many counties have maintained aerial photo surveys for road projects and infrastructure purposes that may be available to view. My library also hosts a monthly local history meeting which is a great resource. Old newspapers on microfilm and on and on. One other thing is to strike up a conversation with so of the old timers in your area. Always a good source of information. Digging into the history of your local area will broaden your understanding of an area as a whole and can be very rewarding.
              Uncle Trav- Southwest Michigan

Comment

Our public library had ONE GEOLOGY TEXT BOOK.

A University Library is the place to search for the best references. For a small fee, many of these Libraries will let you check books out. The Colorado School of Mines in Golden, Colorado has hundreds of thousands of excellent references.

These libraries also have ANNUAL BOOK SALES selling off duplicates that are donated. Prices usually are one price for Soft Cover and a Price for Hard Cover books. With the Universities going to Digital Libraries... there are more Computers used, than actually finding the book in the 'stacks'.

Physical Books today are like Flint Tools of the Past. Many libraries do not want your physical books. They will sell them to a Book Dealer, or put them into an Annual Book Sale.

Comment

Working...
                X