Searching Slate Creeks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Searching Slate Creeks

I am looking for advice on searching slate creeks-- I feel like a few years ago I read somewhere that slate creeks are less promising to search compared to gravel creeks, but I have 3 major slate creeks in my area that were inhabited by Natives. I have walked them but no luck so far. Just wondering if it is worth it to continue walking them, or if there is some particular reason slate creeks are seen as less promising.
    Edit: I think it would be more accurate to describe them as shale creeks, with any accumulations being of shale and maybe some glacial stones aberrantly.

Thanks!
    Last edited by SRLarson; 02-13-2023, 04:32 PM.

In Kentucky, some of the shale/slate creeks just aren't that old. They are more historic drainages coming down from old mines, going through tailings or the former top of a mountain pushed down into a valley. Not productive because anything old is buried.

Not sure if there was mining in your area of Penna, but if the creeks are older creeks there should be stuff in them but not all are productive. Any luck with plowed fields?

Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

• SRLarson
      SRLarson commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you-- great info about the age due to mining etc. There were mounds along one particular shale creek that have since been destroyed so there was inhabitation at some point.
      I really want to search plowed fields especially around these areas-- have many marked on google maps but have yet to work up the courage to go ask permission of land owners.

• FrontRange
      FrontRange commented
      Editing a comment
      I think you'll find the land owners to be a lot nicer and easier to work with then you would think. The first time I asked for permission to look for points I was pretty nervous, but I explained that I didn't want to do any digging only surface hunting and they happily let me go. Now i have permission on multiple properties all around the state. One cautionary tell, I brought everything to show the land owner and lost permission because after seeing what I found they wanted it all for themselves lol, not that I blame them but it does happen.
Working...
X