Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Percentages!?!

Seeing them?
    Took a field walk today and found two, one about a foot and a half to my right, one right under my nose. When I walk, I look down, left and right about 3-5 feet out each way, at the end, turn, move over 5,6,7 feet or 2,3,4 rows, depending on conditions, and start back. Seems about 75% are found right below my nose. Of course that is obvious, bound to see them under your nose more often then off to the side. I have seen them as far off as 10-12 feet off to the side, but rare.
    So what are the percentages of finds, under your nose, a foot or two out, three to six feet out, etc.?
    What is the best time for or conditions for hunting?
    Field, creek, digging, grubbing?
    Weather? Sun, no sun? After a good wind? After plow or turned?
    Floods, torrential rains? Freeze/thaw?
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Well for me its about 50% under my nose and 50% out to the sides. I have been field hunting religiously for the last 9 years and i couldnt tell you how many times i have been walking along and spot one out of the corner of my eye. Sometimes feel like some indian god is telling me to look over there... My favorite hunting conditions is a plowed field with little debris that has been weathered for about a month. As far as weather i perfer a cloudy day with no sun and for the ground to be wet looking but not muddy. Seems to make the flint just stick out like a sore thumb. If your out for the stone tools then you more less have to flip over all uniform looking rocks of to like material such as granite or slate and about 100% of the time these will be found under your nose ;-)

Comment

I prefer cloudy days or even foggy days. Fog is the best! I like to go the day after a rain although the old legs don't do as well in the mud as they used to. This applies to fields or creeks/rivers. I do not like wind!
      Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

Right under da schnozzola most of the time. Found a couple cause I could see em far off to the side too though. The Thebes in my avatar I saw off to the side about eight feet away. Just luck and size too I think. Found two today right under the nose!

Comment

Working...
        X