Getting permission for hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting permission for hunting

Hello everyone, just a quick question? I live near Chicago and been asking farmers to get permission to hunt there property . Im getting shot down left and right. Some guys are friendly and others seem annoyed at me just for asking. I can imagine living near a major metro area that farmers had most likely some bad experiences with people. Just asking will it be better to drive a couple hours away and trying. Whats your guys experiences that live near metro areas. Thanks

It's hit or miss, just be friendly and ask to walk around. The mention of "digging" turns off most people if that's what your hoping for. I don't don't do any digging, all surface hunting. If you have kids, drag one along, that can help smooth the way to getting permission. If you don't have kids, borrow one! :laugh:
    Southern Connecticut

Comment

Having a cute kid works well. Bringing along a sexy female who's wearing short shorts works even better! I always ask the farmer/rancher if there's any odd jobs I can do for them. If there's something in it for them your chances improve.

Comment

Getting permission is difficult, even in rural areas.  I believe this is largely due to landowners being besieged with a growing traffic of trespassers, especially during deer and turkey hunting season.  Respecting private property rights is a waning tradition in our "what is yours is mine" entitlement minded culture.  What few spots I do have permission to hunt I gained because I either did work for the owner or he is a good friend. Gaining the owner's trust and honoring his wishes is key. Keep asking.

Comment

I live very near Chicago, NW Indiana to be exact, and the farmers are hit or miss, but most often they are alright with me hunting on their property. I usually wear a flannel shirt and old jeans and bring my three adorable kids with and sometimes have them ask instead of me if it looks like it may be a tough gig....anyways head to Indiana and try your luck,dress the part!

Comment

Through a couple of points in your pocket too. It has helped when chatting them up and getting a feeling for where there attitude is. Pull out the points and show them, lets them know your not just your average flake!
            Also, once you get into one, it gets easier to get into others. Drop some names of farmers who let you hunt, if they know them it helps.
            And if you want, come on over this way, we'll walk a couple of fields in my area, about 70 miles East of Chicago.
            Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

all thou i am not in your area, but the biggest problem here is disrespect for the land and the land owner. It stems from hunters of game. I is easier for a land owner to say no than yes. First thing, is they have no idea who you are, and your at a disadvantage to start with. The biggest thing is talking with them, and subjects that they are interested in.(LISTEN) When asking for permission  you need to let them understand that your not just there to hunt artifacts but your another set of eyes and will watch out for there land and will let them know what is going on. It will get back to you building a relationship with the land owner. It may not happen on the first meeting, say that you respect that, but try and leave the door open, by saying do you mind if I am in the area if I stop by to say hi. At that point they will either say yes or no, if yes you have a chance at getting that permission take points to show the owner every time you stop by and just talk. First it shows him that you do respect his land and him. Over time he will get to know you and will be more willing to allow you to look the land over.
              Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

When by myself I may get permission 3 out of 10...Bring my daughter 8 out of 10. Guess Im just not cute enough!?    Liability is a big issue nowadays...So many sue happy people. Cant say I blame them saying no.

Comment

How can they say no!

Comment

Some very good advice there guys. Bringing kids is good but if you don't have them in that cute age then try this. Buy a plant. Talk about your own garden ask how he would plant some tomatoes on that tricky slope you have in your yard. Weather you have a slope or not is no matter let them talk. Be friendly and smile a lot as you listen. Don't have to be Tomatoes either, just pick a plant you are having trouble with. Just say I need professional advice about planting.
                    Show them a point and ask if they ever find any around their place. They might just point at a hot spot and say have at it son.!
                    Good Luck
                    Hoss
                    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

turkeytail wrote:

How can they say no!

Yep, you ain't got a chance!!
                      Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Thanks everyone for the input. I guess just keep smiling and trying. Well at least it puts me out in the country for a nice drive.

Comment

Hey TT, Carly is making me feel old now! I've been watching her grow for a few years in your posts now and damg it!....she's gettin bigger and still maintains that innocent cuteness, you should be a proud papa!!
                          Southern Connecticut

Comment

Become a land surveyor go where you want ; )

Comment

Working...
                            X