NEW MEMBER- Maine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NEW MEMBER- Maine

Hi all, I'm very new here and have a small collection mostly from N.E. Arkansas,And 1 from maine (where I currently live).. I have 2 questions.  Does anyone know of a good place to hunt for nice points around augusta maine area?  And I haven't the slightest idea how to appraise my collection can anyone help me with either?

My one point from here in maine
       Attached files 

Welcome Kat, I moved your post to it's own thread so it won't get missed. There are a few folks here from the Northeast like myself in Connecticut, and at least one from Maine so he may be able to give you some tips up there. The point you have pictured I think is a Levanna from the woodland time frame but would need a clearer picture to really tell. Show us your artifacts from Arkansas as when when you get the chance. The vast majority of points are what we call "field grade" such as yours and not worth all that much financially, maybe 10 bucks or less. Their "value" is that of finding them and having a piece of history. Again, welcome and enjoy!
    Southern Connecticut

Comment

:welcome: from Rhode Island. I think Chris(cgode) missed the notches on your point. Looks like it was notched with a longer stem as well. Hard to tell what type, but not likely a Levanna, older then that.
      Rhode Island

Comment

I have no intention on selling them I just wanted an I idea lol I love the history behind all artifacts expecially native American. And the punt was found in Jackman maine literally on the edge of a lake. Idk if that will help at all.  But the rest (the points from Arkansas) were mostly found while digging my uncles garden. The area they live in is the trail of tears. Which is why I would never sell them. . But I will post pictures of those very soon aswell

Comment

Welcome Kat!
          Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Welcome from Central Illinois
            Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

Kat wrote:

I have no intention on selling them I just wanted an I idea lol I love the history behind all artifacts expecially native American. And the punt was found in Jackman maine literally on the edge of a lake. Idk if that will help at all.  But the rest (the points from Arkansas) were mostly found while digging my uncles garden. The area they live in is the trail of tears. Which is why I would never sell them. . But I will post pictures of those very soon aswell
                The point is made of some type of chert. It looks to be corner notched. But it looks like the stem is broke because it's so short, and if it's broken, it's hard to know for sure any possible type name. The stem, the hafting area in general, is where you look to ID a point. It's most likely an Archaic Era point , meaning at least over ~3000 years.
              Rhode Island

Comment

CMD wrote:

:welcome: from Rhode Island. I think Chris(cgode) missed the notches on your point. Looks like it was notched with a longer stem as well. Hard to tell what type, but not likely a Levanna, older then that.
                I need a better pic to see the notches or a stem.....or I need new glasses.......or both more than likely! :laugh:
                Kat, Charlie is on the ball with our northeast types.....and apparently has better vision than I!!
                Southern Connecticut

Comment

Welcome Kat to the site.  Don't mind Chris,  he can't see the purdy girls on the coast either.    :laugh:   Sorry,  inside joke.
                  South Dakota

Comment

Posted by [mainejman]:

Welcome to Maine Kat.I live above you outside of Bangor.Not real sure of the point type you have.It looks to be Mt.Kineo ryholite.This is the most popular material in this area.This is the rock to look for and is usually found near most waterways ....I would check any waterways in your area.I have found stuff at riverside along the kennebec north of you....what will become very apparent to you is the lack of fields to hunt.....good luck...mjm

Comment

Hi kat welcome to the forum from carmel maine i love that point it looks like chert to me mite be from the munsungan formation in northern maine hit me with a private message maybe we can get togethr for a hunt ;-)

Comment

Posted by [Hi-Lo]:

Welcome from sunny southern Ontario Kat.

Comment

Working...
                        X