Who does this guy think he is?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who does this guy think he is?

Well, I'm not much of a writer so I'll plagiarize: “The details of my life are quite inconsequential... very well, where do I begin?” – International Man of Mystery (1997)
    ----====-===----
      I am a lifelong Oklahoman. I grew up in extreme Southeastern Oklahoma. I now reside in extreme Northeastern Oklahoma. But, enough about extremities. I digress.
    One sunny, beautiful day, while teaching a buddy the art of snagging Paddlefish (“spoonbills”), the worm-gear in my reel broke. I knew my fishing day was over, but I didn't want that to spoil my friend's fun. So jokingly I said “You go ahead and keep at it, I'll just piddle around. Heck, maybe I'll find an arrowhead or something.”
    So, I meandered down the sandy shoreline, having no real intent other than to pass the time. Then it happened. Resting gently on the sand, in one inch of water, was an immaculate “arrowhead”.
    We didn't hook a spoonbill that day, but that didn't matter. An arrowhead had hooked me. I had the fever, and I had it bad.
    Over the next few weeks, I did what every self-respecting, self-miseducated "archaeologist" does; I proudly and unwittingly posted forum images of every geofact I could get my hands on.
    To my dismay, an online user, from a podunk Oklahoma town only 20 minutes up the road from me, kept inexplicably debunking each and every rock I would find. I thought sarcastically “Who does this guy think he is? I'm sooo sure this knucklehead, one-horse-town-residing fella with a dial-up ISP is the de facto expert on every rock or sherd in Northeastern Oklahoma.”
    Well, dear reader, he absolutely was. Moreover, he was the most congenial, amiable person you could ever hope to meet.
    I recall sitting with rapt attention, listening to Larry and Christopher Merriam speak on Spiro. After their discourse, they fielded questions from those in attendance. One gentleman posed a particularly tricky question, at which point the Merriams promptly deferred to one Matt Rowe who was sitting quietly a few rows ahead of me.
    I owe Matt a good deal of gratitude. I still know very little, but a large part of what knowledge I do have has come from lurking his posts.
    If only he wasn't so darn confidential about locales... Darn the luck...

Good story Olklahomuh. I don't know much about who's who, but I can definitely  relate to that first find, something I guess all collectors and enthusiast can relate to. Thanks for sharing!
    Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

I got on to the forums a few years back and did meet Matt Rowe last year I spent the day with him at his museum. I have a lot of respect for him and his knowledge. There are a few other people that I respect and admire for there knowledge, RMartin, Greg, Chris, Hoss, and Charlie . all are level headed when it comes to artifacts they tell it like it is.
      Thank you for the insight  I enjoyed it ,
      Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Been seeing you around   :welcome:
        http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

_
          Here she is... Unremarkable in the grand scheme of things... but there's nothing like that first one, is there...?

Click image for larger version

Name:	LtKGxdi [replaced]1.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	199785

_

Comment

That's one heck of a first find! If pickn that up off the ground don't spark some amazement and interest then you need your pulse checked! Thanks!
            Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Yep, A great 1st find! Welcome from MD.
              One for  Oklahomuh 
                to knock the dust down
              Limme put a quarter in this juke box..
              (1972) Steel: Red Rhodes, bass: Lee Sklar, drums: Russ Kunkel.

If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Comment

OH,, so were posting vids huh? :laugh: My dad was an okie and liked this song.
                http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iYY2FQHFwE
                http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Well Okie, I hooked/snagged into a paddlefish once. ONCE!
                  That sucker dragged me down the river bank "Trinity" it surfaced rolled and my line snapped.
                  I did not want to give up when it almost dragged me into the water.
                  I was using 80lb test.
                  For a first point that is a nice Gary.
                  Matt knows his stuff don't he.
                  Jess B.
                  It is a "Rock" when it's on the ground.
                  It is a "Specimen" when picked up and taken home.

​Jessy B.
                  Circa:1982

Comment

Hey Oklahomuh, Great first find story to match a great first find. Thanks for both the story and picture of the artifact.
                    Michigan Yooper
                    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Is this post supposed to be  praising  Matt Rowe or dissing him? He is very knowledgeable  indeed.
                      By the way nice picture of Greg Perino as your avatar. Are you related to Greg whats your connection?
                      TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Bone2stone wrote:

Well Okie, I hooked/snagged into a paddlefish once. ONCE!
                        That sucker dragged me down the river bank "Trinity" it surfaced rolled and my line snapped.
                        I did not want to give up when it almost dragged me into the water.
                        I was using 80lb test.
                        For a first point that is a nice Gary.
                        Matt knows his stuff don't he.
                        Jess B.
                          I had one spoonbill literally about pull me over a chain-linked fence at Ft. Gibson dam (Grand-Neosho River), surrounded by no less than a dozen semi-horrified spectators... I had accidentally left my star drag tightened down after getting hung up in the rocks and snapping the line intentionally... As depleted as those fish are, there are still some beasts out there....
                        Yeah, Matt does know his stuff... I was commuting to work one early morning, and lo and behold I passed Matt on the highway... I figured he possibly was headed out to hunt a site... for one split second I thought "maybe I ought to tail him and see if he leads me to one of his honeyholes..."...   But, being late for work and risking a restraining order just didn't seem worth it....  :unsure:

Comment

Hoss wrote:

Is this post supposed to be  praising  Matt Rowe or dissing him? He is very knowledgeable  indeed.
                          By the way nice picture of Greg Perino as your avatar. Are you related to Greg whats your connection?
                            I wasn't dissing Matt at all... I was merely introducing myself to the forum, and explaining how I learned a lot from Matt when I was newly interesting in this field of study...
                          Are you the legal representative of the Perino estate, or something...? I can pay royalties, if need be...
                          I grew up in a very small town in SE Oklahoma, which happened to be where Mr. Perino also lived at the time... I chose the avatar because I once stood behind him in a line at Walmart... Oh great... Now I have to pay royalties to the Waltons....  :S

Comment

Since we have already had a few discussions I will simply say Welcome from Central Illinois
                            Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

Are you the legal representative of the Perino estate, or something...? I can pay royalties, if need be...
                              I grew up in a very small town in SE Oklahoma, which happened to be where Mr. Perino also lived at the time... I chose the avatar because I once stood behind him in a line at Walmart... Oh great... Now I have to pay royalties to the Waltons....
                              'Bout a 9 on the tension scale there, Hoss...
                                When ever you cant see the expressions of a face and your relying on what has been typed, one can read into it what they want. This seems to be escalating, and there is no need for that to happen. I have read through what Hoss wrote and in my mind it was harmless.  This is a forum for all to share there experiences, finds and knowledge.  The primary focus, is for all members to learn and grow the understanding of our hobby.  Lets just stop this now and move on, we have bigger fish to fry.
                              That's all I am saying.
                              Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Working...
                              X