new boot on the block

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new boot on the block

Name is Wayne.  I live west of Houston by 45 miles.  I live and breath for hunting and fishing.  While hunting over the years I have found a lot of points.  finding them has really started getting in my blood.  I have driven to and from on a Polaris Ranger forever and always kept my eyes to the ground looking.  Well Saturday it finally paid off.  As I was driving I saw the tang of this little beauty.  I think it is a Dalton point 2 inches long, found north of college Satation, Texas.  It was at the base of a very large (150 foot) tall hill, that has been rapidly deteriorating.  It is a sandy hill with red clay underneath.  As the sand easily erodes it leaves the red clay sticking out like a shelf.  We found a lot of big flakes very near and suspect  the hill was used to camp.  Unfortunately it appears as the hill erodes, it back fills over itelf, thus burrying the points again.

welcome to the site! maybe this can help you out. http://www.arrowheads.com/index.php/...uide-galleries
    call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

:welcome:  to AH
      im not familiar with the artifacts from your area
      but to me that looks more like an adena
      definitley not a dalton

Comment

Welcome Wayne, to AH.com  :welcome:
        That is not a Dalton. I am not from your region to give you a proper ID but we have members that should be along that will tell you what it is.
        You will find an ebb and flow when it comes to soil. What gets covered up will also get exposed. The forage is what keeps it in place.
        Nice find! congrats! Thanks for sharing!
        Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Wayne, I should explain why its not a Dalton, then just to say its not. First the base is not right. A concave base would be correct. then the base should be tapper after it was hafted, do to re-sharpening. The flaking does not match up as well.   Still a great find! and when you get hook it is an obsession, well at least with me.
          here is a link to what a Dalton looks like.   http://www.arrowheads.com/index.php/...l/78806-dalton

Comment

Well dern it.  I typed Dalton but meant Dawson.  I think it is a dawson or a Carrolton point.  Not sure twix the two, or actually not too 100% sure.

Comment

I am leaning more on the carrolton side.

Comment

Look at the flaking. From what I can see it would fit a Carrolton point.

Comment

:welcome: fellow Texan!
                  I live here in Texas southeast of Dallas.
                  I would say that's a Gary point.....by far the most common point found here in Texas IMO
                  Nice find and good luck on hunting that site....sounds like a good one!
                  Clay

Comment

:welcome: Hey Wayne, Welcome to the site and that sure is a nice point. Glad you could join us. I have only been here a relatively short time but have learned a considerable amount from the many knowledgeable and helpful members here.
                    Michigan Yooper
                    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Welcome, nice intro!
                      http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Welcome from Central Illinois. Clay is one of our Texas guys so I will agree with him on type. There are many variations of the Gary.
                        Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

:welcome: from east TN!
                          Nice find! Thanks for sharing!  I would also second Clays advice,  he knows them Texas Rocks! Just check out some of his recent post!
                          Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Welcome Wayne!
                            Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Welcome Wayne
                              South Dakota

Comment

Working...
                              X