Getting artifacts verified as authentic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting artifacts verified as authentic

New member, just bought some stuff at auction(800.00), scared I got took. Anyone know of good place to verify I got the real deal?

Welcome in, Okie. You will get names of authenticators that some of us trust. NO authenticator knows all materials and types in every state, so regional or local authenticators are best. What state did the artifacts supposedly come from? Show us the pics, man. We can start giving you ideas and advice...

Professor Shellman
    Tampa Bay

Comment

If you are concerned about them now you will most likely be concerned about them even if you spend more money to have them authenticated. The best authenticators get it wrong sometimes. If I was to see papers on an artifact I most likely would not buy it, but I don't buy artifacts any ways I do buy some reproductions from time to time, but I keep them separate from my real artifacts that I found. good luck
      South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

Is there a return policy or was it a estate sale ? If you think you’ve gotten burned regardless of antiquity, you must not be happy. If it was a estate sale, prolly a done deal..Usually any online event has a 10 day return policy... JJ
        Lubbock County Tx

Comment

Post up pictures, a collective of opinions here are right more often than not on points.

This is just a guesstimate on my part, but 90% of what gets sent to COAers doesn’t need papers. It’s usually relatively no-brainer common stuff, or no-brainer modern stuff.
          Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

Hi,

I have to agree with the folks that have already commented on this. When I first got interested in this I thought a COA meant something but now all it does is make me suspicious. There are some COA’s done by old timers that are surely legitimate but you don’t see those artifacts for sale very often. The best you can do is educate yourself so you can determine authenticity to the best of your ability before you purchase artifacts. If you want our help here you will need to post some pictures. All we can do is give you an opinion but it will be a good one and much cheaper than going to an authenticater.

Von

Comment

Welcome Okie
              TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Thanks for all the replies, it all sounds like good advice. I'll get pics up of the points in question as soon as I figure out how. I look forward to your feedback and learning my way the site. This is where I should have been all the time. Here and out in the fields and creeks.

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
                  SurfaceHunter commented
                  Editing a comment
                  What state are the points from?

Welcome and looking forward to seeing your artifacts
                South Dakota

Comment

Working...
                X