First day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First day

A few months ago I dropped all my social media accounts with intents of getting my life back from Facebook and all the others too.

I was spending far too much time on it...with the social aspect of it, and then also running two rather large fishing groups that had gotten far too large and much bigger than I ever thought they would...and then writing a weekly blog as well.

It was just time to reclaim my life...and I did it.

I realized along the way however that I still needed the fix of my new found passion of muddy and wet feet and a pocket full of rocks!

So...i thought I'd try y'all out and see if it was a fit.

I was a member of a few artifact sites on FB...and was turned off by the rudeness of not only some of the a$$hole members....but a few admins who were no different themselves.

I figured all these types of sites were like that.

I was wrong about y'all.

In typical greenhorn fashion during my first day today I initiated several threads to test the waters...and in the process asked a bunch of stupid newbie questions, and allowed my ignorance to shine through like a beacon.

Instead of the typical smart a$$ed remarks, and unnecessary condescending insults towards some one who just didn't know any better...

I was greeted with polite disagreement and constructive criticism by multiple members who were genuinely trying to help guide me, and tell me the truth at the same time.

I had fully expected to receive the standard treatment that occurs at the other places...and figured I'd most likely quit this site after being talked down and humiliated by an ever gathering crowd more than willing to stick a boot up in ya ribs just because it made them feel better...and because they could.

But that didn't happen at all.

All day long I only received one such uncalled for snide comment...at which I laughed at and moved along about my way actually being tutored by a few great guys who seem to know their game and reside at the top of it.

That. Right there.

Is how a site retains it's members, and grows rather than declines.

Kudos to the awesome fellow members here at this site who took time from their day...and went above and beyond to help guide me from the darkness.

And the admins with whom I conversed with were great as well.

The owner of this site should be proud!

The admins/moderators are solid, and are doing a great job!

There is normally a grey cloud nearby just when a fella sees the silver lining just right up around the bend...

And this time is no different.

Now y'all are stuck with me for a spell...maybe longer.

Thanks for that!

Hope your night is a good one, and tomorrow mornings alarm clock falls lightly on your ears when it starts it's BANG BANG BANG RING RING RANG crap again like it always seems to be doing on the daily.

Tight Lines y'all...

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something that he can learn in no other way!

Well, that was unexpected... and thank you!

As you've already found out, the nature of forums is that everyone can express their opinion and anyone can disagree. There is however a nice way and a nasty way of doing this... plus everything in between. Good moderators and also advisors with particular expertise (and we are blessed with a selection of good ones) have a duty to keep things on the rails, weed out the troublemakers and ensure that newbies or those with 'unconventional' opinions are pointed in the right direction or offered informed disagreement. Not bullied or ridiculed for their lack of knowledge or experience. Not censored or banned unless it becomes apparent that we are being trolled, dishonestly misled or the language becomes abusive.

Sometimes the dialogue becomes belligerent, and often that's when patience becomes exhausted because a bizarre point of view continues to be held in denial of the facts. I'd like to think that we usually manage to successfully tread the line between facts/evidence/experience and opinionated put-downs, while respecting that it's a free world in which people can believe whatever they want as long as they put their opinions in a civil manner.

Long may that continue.
    I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Welcome.
      Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Welcome from East Tn!

Well said on all counts, that's our forum. Hope you enjoy!
        Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

I agree Painshill.

In the two fishing groups I created and ran it didn't take long at all to discover that good mods and admins are few and far between.

You're doing a great job. Keep it up!

Being open minded is a requirement...however a guy still has to be careful that he's not so open minded that his brain falls out.

Kindness and a willingness to listen with the intent of understanding is not what most people these days do at all.

Rather instead they listen with the intent to reply.

Some get this. Most don't.

Simple kindness and mutual respect will go a long damn ways.

This type of behavior between two strangers who may disagree in their respective philosophies should be more common in todays world as it once was in years gone by....Civility. Manners. Tolerance.

Call it what you will.

The bottom line is simply being a good human being, and treating others as you expect and demand to be treated.

Life doesn't have to be difficult or cold and heartless.

Most times if it is...we created it, and have no one to blame but our own selves.

The best life hack that I have seen reads just like this...

If you ever get the chance to do them dirty just like they did to you?

I hope instead that you turn in silence, and walk away.

Hope you have a great day Painshill.

Peace brother.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something that he can learn in no other way!

Comment

Welcome from connectcut
            SW Connecticut

Comment

Thanks so much Red Rocks!

Comment

Welcome, PA.
                Professor Shellman
                Tampa Bay

Comment

What ? I was doing my best to run you off !
                  Lubbock County Tx

Comment

See? There's always a smart one in every group they say!

You must have been the one I laughed at...πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

It's much harder to get under my skin as I age than it was when I was a younger man so many years ago.

But...raising 4 girls past the teenage years all the way into adulthood will do that to you!

There literally is no name I wasn't called during those trying/patience testing years...lol.

After all that...now to get under my skin best bring your "A" game!

My selective hearing is now legendary.

I will literally "Huh" you to death...πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Comment

Welcome from Georgia but it’s best if you do your introduction before you post that way we can meet you 1st and know what to expect. Glad you have decided to stay god luck out there and let’s see the worked pieces you find like them points.
                      NW Georgia,

Comment

I prefer the element of suprise...lol

That way everyone else can be as suprised as I am about what I might say...πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Thank you for the welcome Surfacefinder...i appreciate ya brother!

Comment

Welcome from coastal Virginia! Looking forward to future posts & sharing.
                          Deb
                          Child of the tides

Comment

Likewise Haven! Best time of the year is coming up...farmers here fixing to cut the crops and work the fields. Love it when they do that...lol

Comment

Working...
                            X