Rocks or artifacts, fossil bones? Page 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rocks or artifacts, fossil bones? Page 1

Strawberry plns tn. Rock and fossil collector. Having problem getting good info from internet. Dont know if I have some pretty unusual rocks or fossilized or petrified bones, artifacts, tools, etc. Have quartz with what appears to be gold and some silver but can't get out unless I crush them. Looking for different way. Geodes with grey and black crystals and don't know what they are. Found all my collection in Va, Ky, Tn, Mo, Ks, Fla. I have thousands in containers from tiny to big. Clean and separate when I have time. If anyone can help identify any, thanks.

Page 2 pics

Comment

Page 3 cont.

Comment

• Lindenmeier-Man
        Lindenmeier-Man commented
        Editing a comment
        Love the AU in the white quartz !

• Cecilia
        Cecilia commented
        Editing a comment
        What’s an AU?

• painshill
        painshill commented
        Editing a comment
        Gold... chemical element symbol Au from "aurum".

Page 4 cont.

Comment

Page 5

Comment

I don't see anything artifactual or fossiliferous in your photos. As far as the quartz, not sure if it contains gold or pyrite.
          Rhode Island

Comment

Crush the quartz as fine as you can then pan it out if there is gold in it it will stay in the pan any pyrite will crush and flow out with the light stuff gold is heavy and will stay in the pan.
            Wyoming

Comment

• painshill
              painshill commented
              Editing a comment
              Just be aware that (from a geology collector's point of view), although not hugely valuable, a nice quartz specimen with gold veining has considerably more value than the isolated gold it might yield.

• Cecilia
              Cecilia commented
              Editing a comment
              Wow. New knowledge. But always had problem with “value” concept, especially if related to sordid topic of coin!

• Tam
              Tam commented
              Editing a comment
              Love it good info beat up

I have to agree with Charlie. I don’t see anything here apart from some odd-shaped eroded rocks, crystal formations and general geological curiosities. It seems to me that you’re picking things up based on your eye being caught by unusual shapes, patterns and colours rather than looking critically for diagnostics that can tell you what you have really found. In fact the things that caught your eye aren’t really that unusual. It’s good that you’re now asking for help with the diagnostics.

For artefacts, we look for things like logical flaking patterns, worked edges, signs of pecking, use-wear, stylistic forms which fit a known category type and shapes that fulfil a potential need based on ‘form fits function’. That’s way too big a topic to cover in a short response, save to say it simply isn’t evident here.

For fossil bones, we look not just for shape, but for physiological features that are consistent with the biology and anatomy of the animal. For bones as ‘massive’ as the items you believe to be bones, we would expect to see signs of the holes through which blood vessels and such ran and some evidence of cellular structure. Take a look at the structure of the cortical tissue on the upper outside edge of this piece of mammoth bone for example, and the numerous holes that would have accommodated blood supply to the interior tissue:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Mammoth Kneecap.jpg Views:	1 Size:	105.2 KB ID:	400635

For the rocks, I don’t think I see what could properly be described as ‘geodes’, which are a specific type of geological formation, as opposed to rocks with cavities containing crystals which are more generally called ‘vugs’. You referred to ‘black crystal’ linings which, if present will most usually be black quartz (known as smoky quartz if paler) or black calcite. They’re easy to tell apart from crystal shape (which can’t be seen from your pictures) or from a hardness test, since calcite is very much less hard than quartz.

It’s possible you have found gold in quartz, and silver often occurs with gold. Impossible to tell from those pictures (and I don’t see anything silver) but the probabilities are more in favour of pyrite (‘fool’s gold’). Again, diagnostics will tell you. The usual way is via a streak test on the unglazed back of a porcelain tile (pyrite has a greenish-black streak, but gold has a yellow shiny metallic streak) but you may not have a suitable area on the specimen to streak. Alternatively you can check the hardness, because gold is very soft (Mohs hardness of 2.5) whereas pyrite is rather hard (Mohs hardness of 6-6.5). Try scratching the surface with the rim edge of a penny. Gold will scratch easily, but pyrite will not. Gold is also very ‘ductile’ and will deform with pressure. Try firmly pushing a darning needle into it. Gold will dent or bend, whereas pyrite will either resist or it will break and produce fragments.

PS: when asking for detailed information about identification of finds, it would be far better if you posted in the "What Did I Find?" section of the forum rather than in the "Welcome to the Forum" section. Also better to split your finds up into manageable groups and supply close-up pictures of the items.
            I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

I’m gonna get in trouble for this, but love your rocks. Shiny. Mineral oil?
              Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

It all looks natural to me Donna Straw Plains huh? I live in Campbell County. just up 75 a piece. Sorry but I dont see anything artifact or fossil related either. Now as for the gold? Some good advice above. If you dont have an old tile you could try scratching the rough rim at the underside of a coffee cup. I use it to sharpen my knife and it is abrasive enough to do the scratch test. Welcome and dont give up the hunt just do some studying and soon you will be finding great artifacts. Native Americans were all over this area. Go visit the relics room is Sevierville you are close enough to it and dont forget McClung down at UT Knoxville. They have an awesome display
                TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Thanks everyone. Yes on mineral oil. I was trying to see if I could see more detail. I'll us other forum as advice with future questions. About the gold in quartz. I have found pyrite and gold. I used the shade trick, pyrite dulls. I really started collecting a lot more on walks in woods in Va. My mother is there with a sister and she has leukemia. I have been going up there for 2 months come home for 1 or 2 and go back. I'm used to a quite life. Going to a house with my sister, her husband, 4 boys and a dying mother with visits from our brothers is quite hectic. So I hike for 3 hours every other day and all day on Sundays. So I pick up rocks to add to my rock garden. Did find a white quartz arrow head and gave it to my sister. Once again thanks for all your input. Donna

Comment

• Cecilia
                    Cecilia commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I am so sorry! I used to spend a lot of time in woods alone with my horse; it kept me sane. Those woods will help you, too....

• Hoss
                    Hoss commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Prayers for your Mom's healing and comfort. Prayers of patience and comfort for your family during this difficult time as well.

Thank you Cecilia. I just wish my sister could go walking with me but she is not the "woodsy type", she said. But yes it keeps me sane and feels good hauling a back pack full of rocks every other day.

Comment

• Cecilia
                    Cecilia commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I tied vegetable colander to saddle. My B.C. watched me dig so much over yrs, he would help me!
                Working...
                X