Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from PA

Hi,
    I'm from Warren, County in northwestern Pennsylvania, and I've been collecting artifacts since late-March of this year. A good friend of mine started hunting arrowheads last year, and subsequently got me into it. I have forty two artifacts in my collection so far, which are mostly field finds from this spring. I've come to really enjoy hunting artifacts, and although playing guitar and reading are my two primary hobbies, artifact hunting has quickly turned into an obsession.
    Since the fields have all been planted, I have been really itching to go hunting, so I've tried out creek walking a few times in the last week. I have had no luck so far, but when I started looking in fields this March it took me two weeks before I found anything. I plan to go tomorrow, and I've been trying to decide on a creek to search in. My friend has also had no luck in creeks or rivers, and I know no one else who hunts for arrowheads, so I have no tips or clue where to start.
    I look forward to sharing my finds and learning what I can about artifact hunting, the artifacts I find, and the people(s) who made them.

welcome jmack, sounds like your off to a good start in this obsessive hobby. While I personally have really no experience hunting creeks, everyone seems to agree that gravel bars and the confluence of rivers/creeks are good starting locations......good luck and post some pics of your finds when ya can!
    Southern Connecticut

Comment

Welcome from Central Illinois
      Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

Dude!
        Welcome to the forum, good folks here and good luck in those creeks.
        Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Good luck and welcome to the site. Lets see some pictures of your spring haul.
          TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Thanks for the warm welcome and the tips for creek walking. I'm getting ready to go creek walking now, and I should be leaving the house within the hour. I just have to figure out which creek to search in. It's really a shot in the dark regardless of what creek I choose, because I haven't the slightest clue which creeks or rivers in my area would be good to search in. I'm just trying to make an educated guess based on the geography of the areas surrounding the creeks. I really don't know which kinds of streams or rivers are the best to search in; like, for example, muddy and wide, or rocky and shallow, et cetera.
            I will upload pictures of my collection eventually. I'm trying to learn more about the geology/lithics of materials used to make artifacts, particularly the artifacts I have in my collection, so uploading the photos will hopefully help me in this regard. I'd like to be able to pick up an artifact and identify what the material is that it was crafted out of, as I'm sure there are members of this forum who can do just that.
            I'll post here if I'm successful during my creek walk today. Thanks again for the welcome, and it's good to be part of the community.

Comment

Working...
            X