Ear rings???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ear rings???

I found these in webster county ky. They were about 5 feet apart. One is broke but both pieces were there. Any ideas?

Welcome from west central Florida

what do you think they are made of and what’s the size of the coin..Were there other items found in the vicinity, Etc..?
    Floridaboy.

Comment

I think bone or cartilage. A dime is a half inch, and these are about 3/4 as wide as the dime. It's an old campsite that I've hunted for a couple years, and always turns up good pieces. I found a fully grooved axe, and some other really nice points there. But these top all my finds, in my opinion.

Comment

Welcome to the forum and interesting introduction. I have no clue, hopefully somebody does.
        Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

I've see some modern decorative earrings (gauges) from the Pacific (Hawaii, New Zealand, etc.) But I haven't seen any ancient pieces from North America like that.

Some fishhooks are shaped like that, but usually thinner.

No clue what you've found there.
          Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

That was another thought I had was maybe fish hooks but these seem too fragile to me. However, they may not have been as fragile hundreds of years ago. Idk... I guess I'm gonna have to send them in to an archeologist or a university where they can look into what they are, and when they are from. Undoubtedly they are old.

Comment

I have seen a similar set of earrings from American Samoa. Made from the spiral of a conch shell.

Comment

• clovisoid
                clovisoid commented
                Editing a comment
                Yup, identical examples.

Thank you so much! I know this is probably a blonde question but how can I tell if they are conch shell vs bone or cartilage?

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	886EBE13-B06A-424E-9156-72F26A0E60CC.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	624730 Here are some spiral shell earrings from North Carolina that look very similar.
                SE ARKANSAS

Comment

• Klanie85
                  Klanie85 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Those are really neat!! How big are they?
              Working...
              X