Shaped Stones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shaped Stones

Someone must have made these but for what? They're all the same shape but not exactly the same size.

What is the story on them?

Comment

• RAH
      RAH commented
      Editing a comment
      I found them on a gravel road near (100 yards) a lake..
      I take my walks down this road and I usually find one or two. I have 130 now. They're definitely stone, a couple of them are chipped so it's easy to tell.

What size are they? I have a feeling they are tumbling media. Where did you find them ? Lake shore ? rivers edge? creekside? In an alley? in a box in a basement? Try to be a little helpful. Post as much as you know about the items.
    Last edited by Hoss; 07-24-2023, 04:44 PM.
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Welcome to arrowheads.com

Agree with Hoss. I would be pretty sure those are 'deburring stones', commonly used in tumblers for the purpose of removing excess 'flash' and other flaws from cast metal or machined components such as gears, cogs, bolts, screws and such. Those look well worn. They come in a variety of sizes, shapes and grades.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Deburring.jpg Views:	0 Size:	107.3 KB ID:	699049

Although they may look and feel like stone, they're usually made from fired ceramics containing a proportion of crushed silica and may be coloured to distinguish the grade.
      Last edited by painshill; 07-25-2023, 02:25 AM.
      I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

• Cecilia
        Cecilia commented
        Editing a comment
        Where you been (rhetorical)…..

• RAH
        RAH commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks like "painshill" and "hoss"have solved my mystery. Someone used up these deburring stones and tossed them. Kinda anticlimactic but my grandson and I did enjoy looking for them. Thanks 👍

WillJo master tumbler, among master lots-other-stuff. Maybe he can tell tell how you how tumble own stones, since you got equipment now. Know prolly need outdoors machine, since makes lotsa noise!
      Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

Working...
      X