Hello from Chillicothe Ohio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from Chillicothe Ohio

My name is Garfield. I have called Chillicothe home for the last decade. I live right off the Scioto river. I grew up in an area of Perry county Ohio where orange and brown flint rocks were huge and very abundant. My wife has always collected Indian things, I have been helping her acquire and display authentic points. I am new at this and this seems like a good place to learn more. Thank you for the mountain of experienced knowledge.

Hello Garfield, I'm also from Ohio and hunt in Clark and Greene counties. I use to hunt a lot just north of Chillicothe off of Hopewell Rd. whenever I was down that way visiting with my grandparents. My grandparents knew the farmer who lived next to the JCPenney store and I had permission to hunt his fields that were along the Scioto. Your in a very rich artifact area and I'd love to see some of your finds.

Comment

Unfortunately I have only found 1 point about 4 years ago.  Our collection is from a locale vendor and auctions.  The point I found was close to a flat rock with a hole drilled in it.  I think it's the best of our collection prb because I found it.  But it is a beautifully created weapon.  Someday I would love to find its true value, to see if all my bragging about it was true.

Comment

Welcome Cool! Well show that thing off, would like to see it.
        Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Welcome to he forum and like Greg said, post some photos of your find!
          Rhode Island

Comment

Here is that point I found, my true great treasure.  I found it and the worked rock on the bank of the Scioto river north of Chillicothe.  They were about 6 feet apart.  I read some controversy about whether these stones were tied to spears.  Its a little darker then the pictures, a nice dark red. I think the flash got it.  I imagine a hungry indian spearfishing when sturgeon were swimming the Ohio streams.  It really seems like a lethal weapon,  I would not want to be on the wrong end of it. Any information on it would be greatly appreciated.  I have always been curious if it had any money value or what kind it was.  My best guess from an online identifier was a bakers creek point.  It will always be a treasure to us though.

Comment

Nice point, looks woodland period, and real thin. And welcome from Perry Co.

Comment

Welcome from Central Illinois. Nice point!
                Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

Nice point, welcome from Connecticut
                  Southern Connecticut

Comment

Thanks Frog.  I was hoping it to be older but I did find it laying on the ground.  Is a thin point good?
                    Does anyone have any insight on the rock?  Is it an artifact, was it attached to the weapon and what kind of weapon would this point be used for?
                    Thanks all, this is a really good web site.

Comment

I would like to welcome you from richland/crawford county ohio. Really like the point you found, as for the stone with a hole in it i would say its more like a net weight than a atl atl weight. Nice finds and keep sharing, we all enjoy the pictures!

Comment

CoolCat wrote:

Thanks Frog.  I was hoping it to be older but I did find it laying on the ground.  Is a thin point good?
                        Does anyone have any insight on the rock?  Is it an artifact, was it attached to the weapon and what kind of weapon would this point be used for?
                        Thanks all, this is a really good web site.
                          Yes Coolcat, thin is better. It usually shows the knapper was skilled. As far as your rock, I am not convinced it is an artifact. I realy cannot tell from your pic if the hole is natural or man made.

Comment

Thanks all it gives me a better understanding of the point.  I will have to do more beach combing this summer.  Who knows maybe I'll find another one.
                          Thanks for the site it is a Great mound of information.

Comment

If someone types this point and names the tool or weapon it wased used as I'll make a donation to the site.

Comment

Well, had to pull out the book lol. If I found it here in Illinois I would guess Stueben or Lowe but Perino says its Chesser if found in Ohio. Late Hopewell-early Late Woodland between 400 A.D. and 770 A.D. It looks a little large for a projectile so I am saying it is a knife.

Comment

Working...
                              X