Greetings from Portland, OR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greetings from Portland, OR

Hello! I've finally decided to stop being a social hermit and join this forum where I can hopefully gain some education from you pros who have been at this for a long time. I'm a relatively young enthusiast (26) so I'm sure many of you have been at this hobby for longer than I've been alive! (In the best way possible... :-))

I'm located in Portland, OR (technically just outside of it) and find myself mostly searching for rocks and minerals (agates, petrified wood, limb cast, carnelian) along the Oregon Coast, Columbia Gorge, various creeks and rivers in Oregon, and my favorite and newest discovery, Central Oregon. I've been "rock hounding" for about 5 years now.

I am also new to flint knapping. I started in about November of 2022. I love knapping rainbow obsidian and I want to figure out how to knap Ishi and Wintu points.

I just found some of my first real artifacts in October 2023 in Central Oregon and I'm already dying to learn and find more.

My brain is a sponge and I am extremely eager to learn anything I can here! Thanks for reading!

PS - not sure how I forgot to include this the first time, but my name is Devyn!
    Last edited by devynknaps; 10-18-2023, 06:03 PM.

Welcome and you came to the right place. Great people here that share all of your interest and are willing to share their knowledge and or, learn with you.
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

• devynknaps
      devynknaps commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you very much! I've actually seen quite a few of your comments and posts so far so I'm excited to see your comment. I'm sure we'll chat again.

Welcome Devyn! Nice introduction. Hope you share some of your knapping journey with us. 😊
    South Carolina

Comment

• devynknaps
      devynknaps commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! I just posted some photos below. Any tips, tricks, or advice, I'm all ears. I joined this forum not having any idea that knappers were on here which is a pleasant surprise! Guess it makes a lot of sense!

Obsidian stuff is findable in Oregon, no? I'm jealous!

Comment

• devynknaps
      devynknaps commented
      Editing a comment
      So they say! I've found a lot of obsidian flakes so far!

There was an old man named Jim Hopper that lived near there. He was probably among best modern knappers to ever live. I'm sure most of the experienced guys around you knew Jim and are influenced by his work. Jim is gone now but not forgotten.

Welcome

Comment

• devynknaps
      devynknaps commented
      Editing a comment
      I was lucky enough to see some of Jim Hopper's pieces in the museum at Richardson's. I would love to obtain one of his points in the future but they seem very scarce and highly protected by those who have them. Unfortunately I haven't met any knappers out here yet but I am sure I will soon!

Welcome aboard Devyn. I really like to knap Ishi points and Rainbow is almost magical.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Point 1045a Coral.jpg Views:	0 Size:	95.6 KB ID:	706746 Click image for larger version  Name:	Point 1072a Root Beer.jpg Views:	0 Size:	70.9 KB ID:	706745 Click image for larger version  Name:	Point 1591 Hixton Quartzite.jpg Views:	0 Size:	138.4 KB ID:	706744 Click image for larger version  Name:	Point 1497a Quartz.jpg Views:	0 Size:	86.2 KB ID:	706743 Click image for larger version  Name:	Point 1354b Tallahatta.jpg Views:	0 Size:	76.4 KB ID:	706742
    Last edited by Ron Kelley; 10-19-2023, 11:13 PM.
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Kelley View Post
      Welcome aboard Devyn. I really like to knap Ishi points and Rainbow is almost magical.
      Click image for larger version Name:	Point 1045a Coral.jpg Views:	0 Size:	95.6 KB ID:	706746 Click image for larger version Name:	Point 1072a Root Beer.jpg Views:	0 Size:	70.9 KB ID:	706745 Click image for larger version Name:	Point 1591 Hixton Quartzite.jpg Views:	0 Size:	138.4 KB ID:	706744 Click image for larger version Name:	Point 1497a Quartz.jpg Views:	0 Size:	86.2 KB ID:	706743 Click image for larger version Name:	Point 1354b Tallahatta.jpg Views:	0 Size:	76.4 KB ID:	706742
      Hi Ron. Thanks for your comment! I would be blown away if I could make any points like yours. Rainbow is absolutely magical. Here are some of my points so far.

Comment

• Ron Kelley
        Ron Kelley commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey Devyn, You have knapped some real nice points there. Way to go!

Yeah ol Jim worked/lived at Richardsons for a lot of years. There are some drums of the highest grade rainbow there the Jim helped procure. I do believe they are still sealed up or were as of Jims passing. Also some incredible Indian Paint.

I have a large frame of Jim's work but you are right, they don't become available very often.

Great job on those Ishi points.
      Last edited by Garguy; 10-20-2023, 10:12 AM.

Comment

• devynknaps
        devynknaps commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh, I had no idea he lived at Richardson's. I got to asking Mrs. Richardson about the ranch but I think I opened with the wrong topic, which was asking about the beds and why the beds are closed to the public 🤕 whoops... I was pretty amazed by the rainbow I found for sale, definitely even more amazed by the massive, massive pieces of petrified wood they had outside! Hmmm, I'm getting the feeling I should go back and try to learn more.

Any info, tips, tricks, resources, anything you can spare to a brand new knapper would be very much appreciated. I know I can improve, just not sure how yet :-)

Well I'm not a knapper but I have spent many years learning the characteristics of ancient and modern fracture. Jim lived with me here in Texas for several months a year late in his life. I learned a,lot from him and helped him get some really rare materials.

Next time you go to Richardson, ask about the indian paint.

Comment

Working...
      X