Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coins from Europe / Middle East

The only reason I am putting this on is the really old Egyptian
    coin .My father worked in Saudia Arabia and I have had a box of colletables building up for 60 years .
    BUT it’s this old old coin with no dates . I always wonder how many millions of people have touched this . If it could only talk . Wanted to share .....

Tam - I used to collect coins from all over the world, with a goal of collecting a representative sample of each country's coins and low denomination bills. I started in England, then South America, then the Far East. I have some from North Africa, including Egypt. The one you're holding dates between 1922 -1952, when Egypt became an Independent Kingdom. This was when their coinage first displayed the image of the King wearing a fez. During this timeframe, they minted 35 different coins but only 18 with left facing images. The image was only either King Faud I or King Farouk I. The image on your coin, although severely worn appears to be a younger image of one of those Kings. If we could have seen just a little more detail, either front or obverse side, we'd know for sure. It's definitely been around in circulation for awhile. Nice piece of history you have there.
    Last edited by Scorpion68; 11-04-2017, 11:03 PM. Reason: spelling change
    Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

May better photos later . It’s called granddaughter .
      she like this site but is 6 .

Comment

Mind you Chuck the back side is blank .why is that ? You are a world of knowledge I never new this . I can still read Arabic
        numbers but there are none on these 2 ..

Comment

Tamara, I followed up on Chuck's lead. "The one you're holding dates between 1922 -1952, when Egypt became an Independent Kingdom. This was when their coinage first displayed the image of the King wearing a fez." And these may be your coins. Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture1.PNG
Views:	205
Size:	639.1 KB
ID:	270935Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture2.PNG
Views:	122
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	270936
          Bruce
          In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

Tam - the usual reason one side of a coin wears more than the other is usually associated with a weak rim around the edge. If you look at the heads side you can see a fairly high rim running around the edge, while on the reverse it's nearly gone. That's because the coin dies were worn down or the reverse side received less pressure during the strike or impression phase.
            Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Wow I have had these all these years not knowing .
              Bruce thank you for that . Yes that is a 10 . The line curve with a diamond .
              Really really love this knowledge you passed to me . Also the bill has a strip of silver through it to give it value . You have to hold it up to the light .
              Justin has Aribic under his signature I recognized and looked up he did a tour .

Comment

See Bruce , this coin ..US currency puts the date on the bottom right / left .
                This coins numbers on the bottom . First number is 1 second if I remember is 3 .
                1349 approx . No there is no way this is from 1300 .
                very perplexing and now with out technology I should be able to look this up .

Comment

Oh Bruce , great site ... packing up for Georgia .. points to come . When I get back I’ll post a gold collectors coin .
                yep keep ya thinking here . I appreciate the link .
                maybe we can figure out a few together .
                This is so foreign to me . Literally !

Comment

Working...
                X