Is it Safe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it Safe?

Here's a nifty bottle I found in an antique store today. Warners Safe Kidney and Liver Cure. Yeah right. The medicine used was stolen off of a New York druggist's recipe, and somehow Warner won. Before patent medicines, Warner was a manufacturer of fire proof safes - hence the "safe" cure. I am trying to learn more about it, i.e ingredients, more history etc. I'll post it if I find any.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_0103.jpg Views:	2 Size:	65.5 KB ID:	382210
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Probably mostly alcohol and that's only safe in small amounts.
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

According to the inter webs, it was a mostly vegetable concoction, one that cured Warner of Bright’s disease. He bought the recipe and patented it, selling millions of dollars worth of it.
      Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

Kewl ! I’ll stick with peyote buttons !
        Lubbock County Tx

Comment

Cool bottle Ethan. I have heard of some of the so called "cures" from back in the day. Laudanum which was liquid opium was very widely used. Heck my Dad tells me that when he was young and someone had a chest cold they would suggest menthol cigarettes...!!! Lol...just what ya need...good post Ethan...
          The chase is better than the catch...
          I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

• Kentucky point
            Kentucky point commented
            Editing a comment
            Back in merry ol' England, they used to give beer to kids as a remedy! I remember seeing vintage ads with doctors promoting cigarette use as well. They didn't know much about medicine back then, nor about the diseases that were causing the problems.

Thats one pretty bottle. Love the color.

Comment

Super neat bottle. Bottle probably cost more than the cure in it.
            SE IA

Comment

Kidney and Liver Cure huh? Nice Bottle anyway!
              http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

• Kentucky point
                Kentucky point commented
                Editing a comment
                I'd love to know how it cured both organs. They aren't exactly related.
            Working...
            X