A Best Find of 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Best Find of 2022

There’s an old sharecroppers house on the land and I finally got the courage to go into the house. It’s dangerous and falling down but I wanted to see what was in there. I found a very old, neat sewing machine and lots of old “goodies”. Fast forward a few weeks, I was riding my dogs and a car comes down a dirt drive that runs on our land. These three ladies roll down the window and proceeded to tell me their grandmother lived in the old house. I wanted to hear their story as much as they wanted to tell me their story. Appears their grandmother worked for the land owner and one of the ladies spent lots of time with her grandmother in the house. She told me about spending hours making quilts with her grandmother and using an old sewing machine. She said they spent hours gardening and how the community had canning days, butchering days and how everyone shared in everything. No one had a need that wasn’t met. Everyone helped everyone. Made my heart smile. She kept talking about the quilting and sewing machine. I called my husband and he loaded them on the sxs and took them on a long tour of the land and everywhere they wanted to go. I came back to the house. When they came back to the house, they stayed for 3 hours. I enjoyed their visit so much. I was able to give them, their grandmother’s sewing machine. They started crying. I had to look away, lol. Right before they left, I asked, “when you were working in the garden, did you ever find arrowheads?” They answered, “all the time.”

Later, I went back and was looking around the old house trying to see if I could find enough courage to go in again. I found an old trunk outside underneath an old deck on the house. It was filled with papers, a ruby pen, letters and this 1832 dime. Finding this dime was great but finding old letters, priceless. I learned not all treasure shines.

Click image for larger version

Name:	AA6597FB-B9EC-4278-8AC0-8B6F9067271E.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	176.7 KB
ID:	679160
    South Carolina

Neat adventure
    South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

That's such a great thing that you and your husband did for them. Hat's off to you!

Comment

• Josie
        Josie commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks. I didn’t do anything though. They taught me so much about this land, what life was like. It was just a great day.

• Atlantic City
        Atlantic City commented
        Editing a comment
        "I was able to give them, their grandmother’s sewing machine. They started crying. I had to look away,"

Sounds like you made them pretty happy.

What a wonderful day for you and them. To have been that generous with your time and let those ladies relive their past. Way cool Josie.
      Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

• Josie
        Josie commented
        Editing a comment
        Wasn’t about me. They were great and had so much information. Who knew there was an old grain mill on the creek. Explains the milling stone or what thought was a milling stone. Only info I failed to get from them was the location of the outhouse, lol. I want to stay clear of that area.
        Last edited by Josie; 03-05-2023, 07:39 PM.

• smbore
        smbore commented
        Editing a comment
        dig it thats where treasure lyes.

How great of an adventure is that... excellent.
      Utah

Comment

That was great Josie. That sewing machine is tied to a lot of good memories for those ladies. They will probably take very good care of it. Classy move. 😊
        South Carolina

Comment

This maybe one of the best stories I’ve heard. Maybe I feel like that coz you and yours and your property just other side Savannah River. I feel warm, and maybe lil’ fuzzy, and both feel wonderful!!
          Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

So glad you shared that Josie....It’s a great story and a wonderful experience....Hmmm, seems like I heard it somewhere before😉
            Floridaboy.

Comment

It's very rare to get a first hand account of the history of a seemingly "forgotten" location. Often times I've wondered what went on in a particular area. It's very nice to now have that knowledge and to do a nice thing for those ladies.
              Central Ohio

Comment

You are a fine person.
                SE IA

Comment

• Josie
                  Josie commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I appreciate your comment but this was all about how I came about finding a 1832 dime. I think those 3 ladies were the highlight of my 2022. It was so much fun listening to their stories. I hope they come back because now I have their grandmother’s table. I can’t wait to give it to them.

• Hal Gorges
                  Hal Gorges commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Can’t wait to hear the next story Josie. And the next and the next👌🇺🇸

Very cool story - love it 👍🏻
                Georgia

Comment

The dime is a great find, but the story about the lady's out shine the dime.
                  east Tx.

Comment

I enjoyed their visit and was so happy to see them so happy and to go down memory lane with them was incredible. Learned a lot that day about the area and land owners.
                    South Carolina

Comment

Great story. Most of the time you are left wondering about who lived there, what they did, what their lives were like in the past. You history lesson came alive.

Comment

Congrats Josie....neat story and awesome find
                        Benny / Western Highland Rim / Tennessee

Comment

Working...
                        X