Not really off the wall..but a nice find I wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not really off the wall..but a nice find I wanted

Its a french gun flint...I found it in same local as many of my points..I found out recently what it was for sure. Knew it was a gun flint but not sure when it was from. :cheer:

Hope you enjoy the share
    I Have Never Met A Rock I Didn\'t Like

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

Thanks Jack

Comment

Nice find, would love to stumble across one of those.
      Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

It is a nice find.  I might have found a couple of them,  but I'm never sure if its a gun flint or a scraper. 
        Gary
        South Dakota

Comment

SDhunter wrote:

It is a nice find.  I might have found a couple of them,  but I'm never sure if its a gun flint or a scraper. 
          Gary
            IMO scrapers are never this small...but I'm so uneducated on NA artifacts ...so take it as you will

Comment

That is really cool Jeffery! I have never found one.
            Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

Jeffery Howle wrote:

Its a french gun flint...I found it in same local as many of my points.
                Nice gun flint Jeffery.  I found three of those very close together
              in a field one day and assumed they were lost as a group.

Comment

Those are always nice to find. I have a few, but no French, just English and native. Congrats!
                Rhode Island

Comment

Great find there, Jeff! :woohoo:   I've also only found British (dark-grey to blackish chert) and native material (chert/coral) gunflints in my area.  The butterscotchy-waxy one are Frenchies.  It's interesting to google gunflints and see how they were/are making them.  I have to go back and view the size of yours, some where made for pistols and small caliber firearms and were smaller.
                  NA scrapers were indeed made as small as that.  I have plenty.  When they are that small they can also be called microliths or microlithic tools.
                  Professor Shellman
                  Tampa Bay

Comment

I've got some very tiny thumb scrapers,  that I know are just that,  that will sit on my pinky nail, with room left over.  The flints I guess are a little more square it looks like.   Not sure why the scrapers were made that small,  but there must have been a reason.  I suppose some have been re sharpened down to a small size.       Gary
                    South Dakota

Comment

Very nice find Jeffery!!!

Comment

SDhunter wrote:

I've got some very tiny thumb scrapers,  that I know are just that,  that will sit on my pinky nail, with room left over.  The flints I guess are a little more square it looks like.   Not sure why the scrapers were made that small,  but there must have been a reason.  I suppose some have been re sharpened down to a small size.       Gary
                          Gary, sometimes they were fitted into a shaft notched along its' length, and not used individually, so each scraper was just one of several-many.
                        Rhode Island

Comment

Working...
                        X