X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New find old lamp base

I found this old lamp base today. Its 14 1/2 inches high

I Have Never Met A Rock I Didn\'t Like

Whats the bottom look like Jeffery? Any marks?
    Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

Can't help with ID but I sure do think it came out of some fancy place. I like those hide stretchers too: Oh
      that might be yer fence.
      Ron
      Michigan Yooper
      If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

looks porcelin glazed, probably from the late 1800's to mid 1900's, nice find , bummer about the small missing piece!
        call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

No marks on bottom Ray
          Lol on the hide stretcher...Ron
          Ya small piece off a handle One
          The top still has part of the metal screw in...no holes in it for a cord. but a lot of the first lamps cords went right up to the light socket instead of through the base itself. I was thinking somewhere in the 1900s

Comment

The crown appears to be the “Imperial crown of India”, created in 1911 for George V to wear when he was received at the court of Delhi, since British crown jewels traditionally never leave Britain. Although technically the two following monarchs had entitlement to the crown, it hasn’t been worn since that date. That would likely put it in the early part of George’s reign post-1911 (he was on the throne until 1936).
            That doesn't mean it's from India... just that the crown type helps put a date to it. Since it's unmarked it's likely from a generic Staffordshire pottery in England or an oriental import.
            I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Thanks Rodger
              You know about everything. Your such a help to me and everyone else here.

Comment

I got to looking closer at the base with a magnifying glass and found some markings on it.

Comment

That's a mark for the Bristol pottery, in a similar format to that used by Richard Champion in the mid-late 18th Century. That doesn't fit with the other aspects of the piece so I would suspect the whole style of the thing is based on an earlier vase or urn from Bristol that has been copied along with the mark... and so most probably an oriental import.
                  The detail on the piece is a long way from crisp, so I reckon it's been mass-moulded. That panel between the drapes and below the crown would almost certainly have had a painted scene of some kind on an original vase.
                  I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

painshill wrote:

That's a mark for the Bristol pottery, in a similar format to that used by Richard Champion in the mid-late 18th Century. That doesn't fit with the other aspects of the piece so I would suspect the whole style of the thing is based on an earlier vase or urn from Bristol that has been copied along with the mark... and so most probably an oriental import.
                    The detail on the piece is a long way from crisp, so I reckon it's been mass-moulded. That panel between the drapes and below the crown would almost certainly have had a painted scene of some kind on an original vase.
                      Rodger it did have something painted on it there is a few colors still left on it can't really tell what it was though

Comment

[QUOTE]Jeffery Howle wrote:

Originally posted by painshill post=94685
                      Rodger it did have something painted on it there is a few colors still left on it can't really tell what it was though

Yes... looking closely I can see that too. I guess it was a transfer cheaply applied on top of the glaze after firing. It couldn't have been lost so easily if it were painted onto the porcelain and then fired. I would still hold to it being post-1911 and the design having been copied from something earlier.

Comment

Jeffery Howle wrote:

Thanks Rodger
                        You know about everything. Your such a help to me and everyone else here.
                        I agree... Nice lamp base Jeffrey

Comment

Working...
                        X