No announcement yet.

musket mini ball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Rodger for the info...I had seen most of this but some I had not. I was not trying to be argumentative. I guess what it was that your first comments on Paducah hit me wrong. To me when I first read your comments that you were making fun of me saying that I knew nothing about the city I was born in. and I'm sorry if I sounded crass and that you were wrong on info you had looked up on the internet. its just I was born here long before the internet was invented. But we are never to old to learn.
    I Have Never Met A Rock I Didn\'t Like

Comment

No worries Jeffery. I’m just sorry if it came across as a taunting you. Not my intention and I didn’t feel you were rapping my knuckles either.
      The Lewis & Clark stuff was kinda front-of-mind for me since, as I said, I have just finished reading their diaries. Fascinating stuff.
      I’m also fascinated by the disconnect sometimes between the political and emotional drivers than cause folklore to become established, versus what critical analysis of the facts tells us. Which may or may not be the case here. We have a famous site over here in the UK known as “Grimes Graves” for which the mythology accumulated over the years was that it represented a Viking cemetery (those danged Vikings again!) :laugh: It’s what the locals believed and also what they wanted to believe, together with the romantic imagery of a large integrated Viking settlement from which neighbouring towns and villages claimed their heritage. Subsequent archaeological investigation has demonstrated it to be a Neolithic flint mining site. :dry:
      I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Comment

Butch Wilson wrote:

Absolutely... but you can keep Alabama. Probably Georgia too. Oh, how things would change:

PS: I believe you still owe us 342 chests of tea. Could it please be dried out before you return it?  :whistle:
          Reminder: there is no such material as "aloominum" 
          I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Time To Reclaim The Colonies!
            From Painshill:
            Absolutely... but you can keep Alabama. Probably Georgia too. Oh, how things would change:
            How times HAVE changed
            When the Imperial Governor of Georgia, James Wright was expelled for the 2nd time, he was not a happy camper!

Jan 18, 1776:
            Georgia's royal governor is arrested
            On the evening of January 18, 1776, the Council of Safety in Savannah, Georgia, issues an arrest warrant for the colony's royal governor, James Wright. Patriots led by Major Joseph Habersham of the Provincial Congress then took Wright into custody and placed him under house arrest.
            Wright remained under guard in the governor's mansion in Savannah until February 11, 1776, when he escaped to the British man-of-war, HMS Scarborough. After failing to negotiate a settlement with the revolutionary congress, he sailed for London.
            On December 29, 1778, Wright returned with troops and was able to retake Savannah. Although Georgia was never fully under his control, Wright again served as royal governor until July 11, 1782, when the British voluntarily abandoned Savannah before Continental General Mad Anthony Wayne could take the city by force. Wayne had already defeated British, Loyalist and allied Indian forces who, combined, outnumbered Patriots by at least 2 to 1, as he progressed through Georgia following the Battle of Yorktown. Facing likely defeat at Wayne's hands, Wright retired to London, where he died on November 20, 1785.
            Wright was the only royal governor to successfully oversee the use of the hated stamps mandated by the Stamp Act of 1765. When Wright recaptured Savannah and was reinstated as the royal governor of Georgia in 1778, he also made Georgia the only colony to return to imperial rule following a Patriot uprising. Georgians seemed to be of mixed mind regarding independence--despite these instances of loyalty to the crown, Georgia was one of the first colonies to argue for a declaration of independence from Britain in early 1776.
            Wright died in 1785, but in 1791 his American holdings were still in litigation.

Roger, your assessment of Alabama -and- Georgia are spot on, and mirror my own sentiments exactly - surly we could reach some amicable way to return them to the crown in this point in time?
            PS: Your check for the tea is in the mail
            If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Comment

Olden wrote:

... your assessment of Alabama -and- Georgia are spot on, and mirror my own sentiments exactly - surly we could reach some amicable way to return them to the crown in this point in time?
              Well, maybe if you could take Wales off our hands we could do a deal. As Gwyn Thomas put it "There are still parts of Wales where the only concession to gaiety is a striped shroud".
              Love those old books and documents.

Comment

Olden Wrote:
                ... your assessment of Alabama -and- Georgia are spot on, and mirror my own sentiments exactly - surly we could reach some amicable way to return them to the crown in this point in time?
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                From Painshill:
                Well, maybe if you could take Wales off our hands we could do a deal. As Gwyn Thomas put it "There are still parts of Wales where the only concession to gaiety is a striped shroud".
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                That is a plus.. but in the spirit of a fair swap and full disclosure I should say that the born and bred, acclaimed Georgian poet James Dickey, wrote the movie Deliverance - who better knew the depth of those placid swamp waters?
                I'll have my attorneys draw up the papers   
                If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Comment

Working...
                X