Working an old site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working an old site

I got out to an old site that has been hit real hard with detectors for the last 40 years. I really did not expect to find anything, but I always know that you cant find it all. So here is what I found, a Tinkler, some sort of flat brass, a handle, a metal arrowhead preform a small ring? and a musket ball.

Look to the ground for it holds the past!

score! not a bad trip! what era does the site date to?
    call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

OnewiththewilD wrote:

score! not a bad trip! what era does the site date to?
      Jay, it dates to the 1820's to 1830's the tribe was Ute

Comment

B) very cool ! even cooler to be able to attribute the stuff to a specific tribe!

Comment

OnewiththewilD wrote:

B) very cool ! even cooler to be able to attribute the stuff to a specific tribe!
          Jay, I have two sites  that date to the later 1800's that I also know the sub chief's names of the campsites.

Comment

thats wicked cool! not only do you get to find the artifacts but you can also find the history that goes with em". that time period around me would date to the beginnings of the mills in my town,in fact the original fruit of the loom company comes from just down the road. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Mill_Complex but ,theres so much scrap iron and junk in the ground around here you'd probably burn out a metal detector in an hour,lol.

Comment

Jay, Thanks for the link. I enjoyed the quick read on the mill, 33 weeks is a long time.
              The way I got the history on the sites, was from an old time rancher that also collected artifacts. He was the person that took me there. Him and his wife had an awesome collection and were good friends of my family. we would take camping trips out to these sites and look for the artifacts during the day and then sit around a campfire at night and listen to him talk about the history. his family like mine homesteaded in the area. Those days sitting around the campfire were some of the best times, and those sites are what I consider, I am at peace and at home.

Comment

that sounds like some great memories bud,thanks fer sharing. B)

Comment

Cool how you can't find it all, year after year and the site still produces. Great story too Chase.
                  Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

OnewiththewilD wrote:

thats wicked cool! not only do you get to find the artifacts but you can also find the history that goes with em". that time period around me would date to the beginnings of the mills in my town,in fact the original fruit of the loom company comes from just down the road. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Mill_Complex but ,theres so much scrap iron and junk in the ground around here you'd probably burn out a metal detector in an hour,lol.
                      OnewiththewilD it takes patients. A detector with good discrimination and a small coil will enable working through an iron infested site.
                    Bruce
                    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

Chase that's good work finding what others have missed.
                      I like the tinkler.
                      Bruce
                      In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

2ndoldman wrote:

Chase that's good work finding what others have missed.
                        I like the tinkler.
                        Bruce, let me send that to you! Thank you for the fillet knife. When you defect and become a United States  citizen :rolf:  :rolf:  or just come down for vacation we will go out and see some sites.

Comment

[QUOTE]2ndoldman wrote:

Originally posted by OnewiththewilD post=132672
                            OnewiththewilD it takes patients. A detector with good discrimination and a small coil will enable working through an iron infested site.
                          Jay, metal detecting is not for everyone. You think arrowhead hunting might be hard. detecting is twice as hard. First off the coil and the amount of ground penetration is important. First off you have to view the coil as cone.... what I am saying is the further down in the ground an artifact is the more narrow your going to hit a signal. A sweep of at 6 inches on top may miss objects at 6 inches below. The next thing that is important is the detector itself  A Walmart $100 detector is worthless.  I have it easy because what I use mine for is relics and discrimination is wide open. I want all metal. But there are very cool things that be found. If you were to get into it the one thing important is hearing the difference of tones from your machine it will tell you what is below the ground,

Comment

ive got one of them cheapo wally world ones,i think i spent even less than 100 on it, lol, but  i never expected to find the holy grail with it in the first place,lol. me and a buddy of mine got into detecting a while back, and your right, its not for everyone! i got tired of digging up pull tabs and scrap iron,lol. oh course i didnt really give the hobby a full chance, theres alot of old homesteads and foundations out in the woods here i would love to dig up, but its not even worth trying with my cheapo one.but  i have found a few cool things over time. and i do like to dig in old dumps and old bottle dumps and have a pretty nice collection of bottles and antiques. where i live theres lots of stuff left over from the 1800s and its not uncommon to find things from that era. in alot of places you barely have to dig at all to find stuff from that time.

Comment

OnewiththewilD wrote:

ive got one of them cheapo wally world ones,i think i spent even less than 100 on it, lol, but  i never expected to find the holy grail with it in the first place,lol. me and a buddy of mine got into detecting a while back, and your right, its not for everyone! i got tired of digging up pull tabs and scrap iron,lol. oh course i didnt really give the hobby a full chance, theres alot of old homesteads and foundations out in the woods here i would love to dig up, but its not even worth trying with my cheapo one.but  i have found a few cool things over time. and i do like to dig in old dumps and old bottle dumps and have a pretty nice collection of bottles and antiques. where i live theres lots of stuff left over from the 1800s and its not uncommon to find things from that era. in alot of places you barely have to dig at all to find stuff from that time.
                              LMAO :rolf:  :rolf:  :rolf:  I told my ex-wife there are three things you cant buy me. A GPS, a high powered rifle, and a metal detector. I told her I know what I want. soooooooo for Christmas I got a $100 Bounty hunter  from wally world. so being the good husband I am I took it out and used it. Yes I did find a few things. But it was when I was out with another person that I looked at it turned it off and threw it in the trash. He went over an area and I heard the beeps of picking up metal. and before he dug up the metal I asked to go over the same ground. I got squat not even a tone. At that point I felt I was just getting arm exercise.

Comment

Working...
                              X