My oldest US coin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My oldest US coin

Found this metal detecting about 100 yards from a old cemetery.. 1796 Liberty cap flowing hair. I have found a few dozen british coppers and a spanish reale much older then this but its my oldest US coin..Thanks for looking. Ron
    My liberty and freedoms are not yours to give or take!.... They didn\'t make us free we were born free, as long as we have the 2nd amendment we will remain free!

Very cool find man. I have several large copper cents  all culls but I did find a pretty nice Carolus III 2 reals just laying in a corn field once. I have an old half dime too. I was givin a metal detector a few years back but only used it a couple times. My best find with it was a sterling silver with amethyst set stone. a couple of keys and some pocket change.  Years ago I had another detector and went to this area we used to dig for artifacts. It was some campsites with dirt roads near a lake. When ever we went to that place  my Dad would always find silver coins laying around. I figured what the  heck let me go  try that area. I found a million beer can pull tabs. LOL but one thing I found which was very cool was a wad of aluminum foil with a Three Muskateers wrapper inside. It really made my day to find that trash.   When ever we dug there my Dad would insist on back filling every hole and we would bury our trash. My Dad;s favorite candy bar was three muskateer That simple find brought back a cool rush of fond memories better than any artifact I had ever found.
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

very cool coin
      hoss. that is a cool story of you finding your dads buried trash

Comment

Hey Ron, That's a nice coin and a great find.
        Hey Hoss, I enjoyed the story. Good stuff.
        My best Find: My friend Jim lost his set of about 20 keys in the snow while hunting. He was pretty sad while telling the story. I followed his tracks and found his set of keys in the snow. He was a happy man.
        Michigan Yooper
        If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Very cool find.    when I grow up I am going to find that. :rolf:  :rolf:
          Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

thats a great find! i tried my hand with a metal detector before as well, but theres so much scrap iron and junk around here sometimes it just aint worth it! besides,everytime i bring it out i tend to give it up and head for the gravel! im lucky in that weve got alot of old dumps around here,most of them are on hillsides that lead down to the river,so i end up finding lots of cool stuff just eroding outta the banks,i did find an old chinese coin once along the river.
            call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

Thanks guys. Ive been detecting now for about 5 -6 years now and really enjoy it.. The wifes not to happy though..lol We had alot of early activity around here and ive found a few good sites..Ill have to post some pics of things i found..
              Hoss, great story u must have s%&* when you dug that up..
              My liberty and freedoms are not yours to give or take!.... They didn\'t make us free we were born free, as long as we have the 2nd amendment we will remain free!

Comment

Well glad somebody is finding something while swinging one of them confounded things.
                All I have been finding lately is recent US coins with a dash of Mexican stuff.
                Seems that the gold I used to find has dried up around here and the old stuff, well Dallas just ain't that old.
                My oldest coin is a "Flying Eagle" 1857 cent found near Six Flags in Arlington Tx. several years ago.
                Congrats on your oldie US coin.
                Jess B.
                It is a "Rock" when it's on the ground.
                It is a "Specimen" when picked up and taken home.

​Jessy B.
                Circa:1982

Comment

Im kinda lucky to live in a area that had so much colonial activity.. This is the only gold i ever found detecting and i recently sold it because it kinda freaked me out having it laying around.. Got like $250 for it after removing the teeth..lol

Comment

That is a very cool find! You are lucky to live where you live! Congrats!

Comment

Working...
                    X