Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christmas eve day hunt.

Ya even the little elves like me get to go out and play. :rolf:
    Not a whole lot today but it is always great just to be out.
    My recyclable pile is starting to grow again.
    And yes that is an old alarm clock and another cannon fuse on top.

Now I can hear you already.
    What the H E double L do you mean another cannon fuse? And you are right I have not posted them here before so here you go.
    On a different forum I had posted in the ID help forum these.

And I had been finding quite a few of them in a particular area that I hunt.
    The instant i posted them one of the members came back and said that they were cannon friction primers.
    So I did a little research and this is what i found out about the area I was hunting.
    In 1878 this was happening here in Victoria.
    Two four-tonne guns capable of shooting 29 kilogram (64 lb.) shells up to five kilometres were placed at Finlayson Point and named the “Finlayson Battery.” Two similar guns were mounted on a point now east of the south end of Douglas Street, named “Victoria Point Battery.” A granite marker at that location reads “Manned by volunteers from The Victoria Battery of Garrison Artillery.” The four coastal guns were installed in response to a perceived threat of war with Russia, which didn’t materialize. All guns were removed in 1892. The construction used an existing ditch built by local First Peoples. D. T. Irwin designed the battery. Irwin proposed constructing a battery on the crest of Beacon Hill as well. (“Guns of Empire,” Maritime Museum exhibit; Ronald Lovatt, Shoot, Shoot, Shoot: A History of the Victoria-Esquimalt Coast Artillery Defences, 1878-1956)
    The installation of the Finlayson guns occurred sometime after June 18, 1878. The Colonist reported on that day: “Cannon--The second 64 pounder for the battery at Beacon Hill was brought up from Esquimalt yesterday by Stelly’s team and taken to the drill shed till the battery is ready for it.”(Colonist, June 18, 1878, p. 3) The powder magazine was not completed until 1879. Tenders were accepted for carpentry, brickwork and tin work for the magazine in February, 1879.
    So on with todays finds. I believe this is a tie rod end.

And some keys. Honestly how do people get around?

Found another pocket knife, and they are starting to get better.

Which reminds me that I found another one last week that i didn't post.

Now I don't know how it is with everyone else but it sure is easier to fill the tank with the drop in gas prices.
    Up here the price of gas is now $1.01 per liter. There are approximately 3.8 liters per US gallon.
    But that is much better than it has been. It used to be $1.50 per liter. :crazy:

I did have one really iffy signal today but it was more than the normal rusty iron scratchy high tone.
    This was in the hole. PS it's a shoe toe cap.
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Right next to this.

Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

That is a heck of a nice Eve hunt!
      Thanks!
      Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

I am impressed Bruce! Those cannon fuse thingys are neat especially with the history behind them. I am going to get one of those Metal Detectors :woohoo:
        Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

Hey Bruce, That was a good hunt. Some interesting history there.
          We sure are enjoying the low gas prices: $2.33 per gal here in the U.P. $1.76 below the bridge.
          Michigan Yooper
          If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Great finds, the fuses are neat. Gas in Tx. is 1.99 here and I was told 1.89 in the Dallas area.
            east Tx.

Comment

Another nice haul Bruce!  Love the local historical connection! Thanks for sharing!
              Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Bruce I always enjoy your finds But that's a haul! and the information awesome sauce!
                Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Working...
                X