Firing on all cylinders today.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firing on all cylinders today.

Pulled everything from black powder round ball and a Zulu War-era rolled-brass-foil Martini and Rossi 577/450 to a 45 pistol round.

Civilian button from the back markings it's circa 1850 so that puts it in line for the gold rush era.

These could be the pulls from the "friction primers" for the cannon

Got my first camo dog tag today. :evil: Now anyone think I should post the Indian head in "what did I find"? :rolf:

I did manage some clad.

A silver wire thingy that doesn't like to be straightened

And #14 on the year. For those of you who do not know the Canadian little nickel, they are 15.5 milometers compared to the American 3 cent piece at 14 milometers.
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

I got a lead on another forum to Armstrong Canons and this is what I found for the friction fuses.

So I married up my parts and they look like winners to me.

For those of you how like big guns this is what a 64 pound Armstrong Canon looks like.

Bruce

Comment

Good finds, whats the 4 ringed/looped thing?
      http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

scovill in Waterbury made military buttons. God your digging every sound.

Comment

My region of Virginia is rich in military artifacts from the 17-18th centuries but much of it is on state or federal lands. You can find it but must either relinquish it or ask permission to keep it. There are a few overgrown  American Civil War trenches on our property but we haven't searched it because it's heavily forested.
          Child of the tides

Comment

There’s an interesting copper casing, dual firing pin indentations and a bulging of the head.
            That one was fired in either a Henry rifle (1860-1866) or a Model 1866 Winchester. Nice find.

Comment

Josh the 4 ringed thing is probably a silver pendant.
              Pete  :rolf: not quite but very close to every sound.  :rolf:
              Havenhunter I would be in there like a dirty shirt.
              11KBP you are correct that one is a Henry cartridge. The one beside it either was a miss fire or it had a split firing pin???
              Bruce

Comment

Working...
              X