No announcement yet.

Bells, Buttons etc [retitled post]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How cool is this? I can now discuss bells with anyone. Great tread Bruce and of course finds also. Glad you got your computer issues straightened out. Thanks for info Guys!
    Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

And how does a 1968 Cuban coin get to Canada?
      Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

painshill wrote:

Crotals were certainly used on sleighs in those parts where such transport was used. That large crotal Ron has is likely from a wagon, coach, or something similar and I would guess the part he is holding is a spike that enabled it to be driven into the wooden framework. Crotal bells are usually foundry-cast in two hemispherical pieces, with the lower piece having a characteristic “slot” with a circular hole at each end and sometimes circular holes in the top. Petal bells may also be foundry-work but have the lower end folded in by hammering, with the gaps between the “petals” serving as the sound-holes. Here’s a crotal (left) and a petal (right):

[Picture from gizmo&hooha vintage emporium on Etsy]
        “Petal bell” also refers to something different but which served the same purpose. They were strapped over the hooves of horses and are also known as “bell-boots”. Like these (old ones are usually brass and chain-linked together):

[Picture from happytack.co.uk website]
        The traditional “cowbell” is usually hammered from sheet metal rather than foundry-cast like a crotal, and has an open end. In early times, only the lead animal for a flock or herd (known as the “bell-wether”) wore a bell and the phrase “to bear the bell” came to mean “taking the first place”. In some cultures they were designed to have a specific tone that enabled the type of animal to be recognised from afar (cow versus goat or sheep, male versus female etc).
        Small and light crotal-like bells made from copper or brass were also used in falconry, attached to the legs or tail of hunting birds to help locate them after they had made a kill. They were brought to America by European explorers from the 16th Century onwards for use as trade goods. When found in Mississippian contexts in the Southern States they’re regarded as evidence for direct or indirect contact with the expeditions of Hernando de Soto, Pánfilo de Naváez, or others. This one was excavated from the Citico Mound in Tennessee:
        Thank you Roger I had not know about the bells being used on horse's hooves like that.
        And can you imagine the constant noise that would have accompanied a carriage with such large bells attached to the frame.  :crazy:
        The bells used for falconry would have been very high pitched little tinkler bells. This is definitely not a falconry bell but it does have a nice high sweet tone.

And who can forget the old teachers bell. This one would have had a wooden handle and have sat on the teachers desk.

Bruce
        In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

rmartin wrote:

And how does a 1968 Cuban coin get to Canada?
          Ray Canada has never had the restrictions that the US has had on trade and travel to Cuba.
          Bruce
          In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

Fascinating learn something new every day around here it keeps me feeling young!
            TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Working...
            X