Catch up post number 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catch up post number 1

I got out for about 6hrson the 4th until my battery died, and by then I was done anyways.
    The trash pile never seems to disappear no matter what you do.

Today's aluminum held a couple of surprises like the 3 windows tin at 12"and the McCallum Scots Whiskey tops that double as shot glasses.

Usually those little lapel pins are junk but this one has a little story to tell also.
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...house-1.663964
    "In court documents, the clubhouse is described as Angel Acres Recreation and Festival Property Limited."

Other than a little over $3 in clad 0.80 of which was pennies this is the oldest coin today.
    Today's keepers started out with this 51 dime.

and next I pulled the first of 4 mobile manure makers tags, which happened to also be the best one today.

Next up sort of made up for yesterday's disappointment. On the 3rd I hit a little pocket spill with 2 68 dimes and 1 68 quarter and they were all magnetic
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

But today's quarter is non magnetic.

Then out came this 40 dime.

And all rounded off with this 42.

Bruce

Comment

Hi Bruce
      Another interesting haul.
      I corrected the link to the CBC news item about the Angel’s clubhouse so it now connects properly.
      For information, that aluminium lid you referred to as “3 Windows” is actually the top of an old condom tin!  :rolf:
      “3 Merry Widows” was a popular brand of condoms in the early 20th Century, sold in metal tins as a pack of three. That one is likely 1920’s to 1930’s and probably predates the thin latex ones. They were likely the old thick “cement rubber” re-usable ones. 
      It should have the names of the “three widows” who started the company – Agnes, Mabel and Beckie at the bottom. In the United States, there are later tins with the names replaced by the words “Selected-Tested” and price-marked at $1.00 (the early ones weren’t price-marked, but sold for 50 cents). From 1873, the “Comstock Law” prohibited access to contraception or information about birth control in the United States (not reversed until 1965 for married couples and 1972 for single people). Like other companies, the three widows evaded that legislation by selling the same product they had in Canada but with different labelling and advertising, indicating that the condoms were “for prevention of disease”.
      I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Painshill ! Well Lordy mercy !  :blush:

Comment

Roger I thank you for fixing the link, I did not notice the error myself.

Most of the history of the Three Widows I already knew but the reusable aspect  was a new one on me. 

And you are correct Agnes, Mabel and Beckie  are clearly identified at the bottom of the lid.
          I have found many other Merry Widows containers including the later version.
          Bruce

Comment

B) Nice haul Bruce!  I'm partial to that pin because I was born in 87'.
            Re-useable!?!  :rolf:  :rolf:  :sick:
            Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Working...
            X