HEY! What's in the scoop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HEY! What's in the scoop?

I get that question and it's variables all of the time while I am in the water.
    And if they were the one who left their glaucoma medicine on the beach

Then I can forgive them for not seeing that the scoop is still underwater and that I have no idea until it is in the sifter.
    What is never asked though is what is that lump you just found.
    Sometimes it's quite obvious like this brass lock.

Or the obligatory crusty pennies. I actually found a good one today but that will come later.

Other times I have to smash the lump on a rock to see if what's hiding inside is worth taking home.
    Like this lump. This is only the half that I brought home.

And you can see why.

As soon as this one was broken open on a rock it was obvious to me exactly what it was.

The first patten date on it is April 16 95 and the last of the 4 patten dates is October 9 00

Back to the mundane finds for now. This can be either a funky fishing sinker or a key fob of sorts.
    It has a heavy piece of metal rattling around inside of the plastic casing.
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

And this one is another large homemade sinker.

I actually forgot to charge my detector so today's hunt was short and the finds were few.

Here is the penknife cleaned up. and it must have hurt to loose this little beauty.

And my two coin finds worth keeping today are another silver 50 and a fairly decent LC.

Bruce

Comment

Dang I was hoping to hear your two cents worth, but I got a fifty. Nice finds Bruce.
      Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

That's a pretty... interesting... haul. What does a person need with a two pound fishing weight?! Nice penny!

Comment

Chase check you emails my friend. And thanks for throwing your 2 cents in.

Driftwood, A large weight like this one would be used for deep sea fishing or possibly a small boat/canoe anchor.

I found out what my mystery item is. "plastic grape looking thing is a weight used to hold your table cloth down on a picnic table."

Bruce

Comment

Hi Bruce
            The large lead item might be fishing related, but it looks more like a sash weight (for windows).
            I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

That is a possibility Roger. This one is triangular in profile where any sash weights I have seen were circular in profile. But that in itself does not mean that it was not used as such. :dunno:
              Bruce

Comment

2ndoldman wrote: That is a possibility Roger. This one is triangular in profile where any sash weights I have seen were circular in profile. But that in itself does not mean that it was not used as such. :dunno:
                Maybe a window into fishing. :crazy:  :whistle:  :rolf:
                Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Working...
                X