Thenose knows.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thenose knows.

Yesterday was much like any day for me. I am always checking the forums before hitting the sack in the wee hours of the morning.
    Then up far to early and start by trotting to the head to release the pent up pressure. Grab a cup of day old coffee to nuke in the microwave.
    And head outside for my first of far to many cigarets for the day while planning where and what I will do today. OH ya, metal detect.
    Well today it was not the detector that got the prize and although bottles were found today it was the nose that found the winner.
    While walking the beach there was the unmistakable aroma of ganja in the air. But that part of the story will have to wait.
    Here's the pile O junk as it came out.

And that starfish is nothing more than a mass of crusty copper now.

As always more lead for the melting pot.

And scrap brass to be recycled.

I don't know about you folks on the east coast but finding coins in saltwater here is anticlimactic for me.
    Yes it adds to the silver count but they are always toast. Pennies and silver just don't survive well for me. Take this 1896 IH for example.

And I have been asked why don't you clean up those crusty silver coins to see what they are. Well here is a look at yesterdays silver coin.
    You can see that pennies and silver look very similar at first.

Shuttle differences in colour I know but the crust on pennies breaks off very easily.

The silver crust is hard and requires reverse electrolysis in order to remove it and not damage the coin. Here are the same 2 and the dime is a 1907 Barber.

Brass and pewter last so much better in my area. The link to the zipper pull was lost in the tumbler and the maple leaf is a stand alone piece. I looked for anything that may have been with it but nothing was found.

Anyone here need a top to their oil lamp?

This souvenir plate is hard to date, but from the picture clues it is after 1909 and before 1940.

OK back to the nose knows. I was walking alone the same stretch where the light saber came flying over my head the other day and I guess that the wind was just right and I caught a whiff of something familiar. Sniffing around like an old hound dog I had to brush aside a pile of debris and found this box under a pile of wet leaves.
    Kinda apropos I thought considering the American/Cuba relations recently in the news.

What a mess inside when I opened it.

But there was a surprise under the baggie.

Here they are somewhat cleaned up.

And I will try to clean up the box to be used to hold some of the carp I am accumulating.
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

i bet the local scrap yard sends you christmas cards,lol. good to be hearing from ya again bud! man, each one'a your days is like a mini-adventure,lol.
    call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

Working...
    X