The British connection.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The British connection.

There were not a lot of quality targets yesterday.
    The trash was lighter than normal.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0674.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	189095
    But the copper and brass were on par.

Name:	IMAG0671.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	147.7 KB
ID:	189096
    No clad shot this time as I only pulled 21 pennies and 5 dimes.
    But I did get a surprise from the tumbler.
    It is not old but it was fun to track down.
    ABOUT US Inspired offers an expanding portfolio of content, technology, hardware and services for regulated gaming, betting, lottery, social and leisure operators across land-based and mobile channels around the world. Inspired’s gaming, virtual sports, interactive and leisure products appeal to a wide variety of players, creating new

Name:	IMAG0678.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	189097
    The days keepers started out with the Grand Old Dame.

Name:	IMAG0665.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	189098 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0681.jpg
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	189099
    The best find of the day was the last one.
    The sun was going down and the chill was setting in when this one popped out.

Name:	IMAG0666.jpg
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	189100 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0683.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	189101 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0677.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	189102
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

This is an excerpt I found about the battle.

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	44
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	189104
    Bruce

Comment

I would think u would run out of spots to hunt lol.... I really enjoy looking at your finds !! Makes me want to go get my detector !!!

Hmmmm, where did I put my arrowhead detector?? Hahahahaha
      As for me and my house , we will serve the lord

Everett Williams ,
      NW Arkansas

Comment

• 2ndoldman
        2ndoldman commented
        Editing a comment
        If you ever find it I want one too.

Bruce, half the reason I love following all of your posts is for the educational aspect. You find some very cool and sometimes historical artifacts. The other half is jealousy won't let me stop following your posts.
      \"Of all the things I\'ve lost, I miss my mind the most.\"

Comment

• 2ndoldman
        2ndoldman commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Bobby. I follow everyone's posts here for the same reason.

Good find on the Victory medallion Bruce.

The “BFSS” referred to is the British & Foreign Sailor’s Society – an interdenominational organisation supported by the Free Churches to promote Christianity among seamen, and which provided religious services for those visiting the port of London and later elsewhere. They gave the medallions to anyone who subscribed a shilling to the society.

Some refer to copper from “Nelson’s ships” and some specifically refer to HMS Victory but in all cases the brass for the medallions contains a small proportion of copper reclaimed from the hull-cladding on vessels of the fleet. There are several variations, including a scarcer one that shows the port side of the Victory rather than the starboard side.

I have small piece of oak from HMS Victory which also includes a trenail (treenail)… a wooden peg used to secure maritime timber:

Name:	Victory Oak 1.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	189129

Name:	Victory Oak 2.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	189130

This piece was reclaimed from unsound timber cut out of the ship during restoration. The ship has been on display in a dry dock at Portsmouth in England since 1922 and Henry VIII’s flagship the Mary Rose now sits alongside it. This piece has some original gun-deck top-coat paint (the creamy coloured deposit) on the uncut side. Contrary to popular belief, the gun-decks and such were not painted red to hide the blood. Sailors in Nelson’s time were made of sterner stuff and anything other than a pale paint would also have had a terrible effect on the dim lighting below decks.

Admiral Lord Nelson had been shot by a French sharpshooter sniping from the Redoutable about an hour into the Battle of Trafalgar and died three hours later. His body came back to a hero’s welcome in Britain preserved in a large cask of brandy, lashed to the deck and under guard. The contents had to be topped up from time to time during the voyage and folklore has it that on arrival the cask was found to be virtually empty of brandy and had a small hole drilled in the bottom. It’s probably untrue, but sailors frequently helped themselves to a drop of rum and other spirits stowed on board ships by using a gimlet to drill a small hole in the casks that could be tapped with a straw. The practice was known as “sucking/bleeding the monkey” and, after Nelson’s time, as “tapping the Admiral”
      Last edited by painshill; 12-31-2015, 06:17 AM.
      I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

• 2ndoldman
        2ndoldman commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for sharing your great piece of that history roger.
        And thanks also for the extra information re “BFSS” I truly enjoy the tidbits of extra knowledge you put in my posts.

Incidentally, re the Bell token… it may seem an odd amount, but 2½p was the post-decimal equivalent of the sixpence (6d in “old money”), which had no coin of that denomination in the replacement currency and was withdrawn from circulation in 1980. We went decimal on 15 February 1971, initially using the term “New Pence”, then dropping the word “New” in 1982 and adopting the symbol “p” for pence.

It took a while for slot machines, vending machines, parking meters and such to be adapted to the new currency. Took even longer for my mother to adapt!

Last edited by painshill; 12-30-2015, 04:21 PM.
      I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Great artifacts & history lessons Guys!

HMS Victory captured
        http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...estore-it.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napole...uste_Mayer.jpg

Last edited by Olden; 12-30-2015, 05:47 PM.
        If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Comment

• 2ndoldman
          2ndoldman commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for the links. The 3D mapping is fascinating.

I just found this link of the firing of the Victory's guns. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2WdU3Zkeig
        Bruce

Comment

The Victory was a MEAN MISTREATER with 50 gun broadsides.. It's enemy's probably felt they had to do their duty, but wished they were somewhere else. By comparison, the USS Constitution (Old Ironsides) could only deliver about a 22 gun salute. Good video Bruce!

You know, we'll have to find Lewis & Clark's keel boat to top that block of wood Roger owns..
          Last edited by Olden; 12-30-2015, 11:52 PM.
          If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Comment

Yeah wish bruce was my history teacher.I might have like it alittle more then what I did then.

Comment

• 2ndoldman
              2ndoldman commented
              Editing a comment
              I am much better at show and tell time than I am at teaching.

• skrewkase
              skrewkase commented
              Editing a comment
              Same thing teacher did but with pictures in a book lol.atleast you have real items to tell about makes things more interesting.there nothing like waking up to a bruce post for sure.

Great info and bounty in this thread! Thanks folks!
            Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Thanks Josh.
              Bruce

Comment

Working...
              X