The smiles continued into the night.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The smiles continued into the night.

On Sunday I had an hour and a half to kill while I waited to meet up with some out of town friends.
    I had started in an out of the way corner of a park when a lady walking her dog approached and asked if I would like to make a good find.
    She proceeded to walk over to an area that was about 20' by 50' and explained that she and a friend had been sitting in this area 4 months ago.
    The friend was mauled by a friendly dog and in the process she had unknowingly had a "large" (her description not mine) gold and diamond earring knocked off.
    They had returned later in the day but were unable to find the earring.
    She then informed me that if I found it there was no need to return it as her friend had already received $900 from the insurance company for it's replacement.
    Not wanting to seen like a vulture I returned to my starting point but curiosity got the better of me.
    So, setting the sensitivity lower than ever, I proceeded to search only the top 2" of ground and went on the hunt for pull tabs.
    An hour into the hunt it was put on hold as the time for meeting up with the friends came all too quickly.
    For the next 5 hours of the day we walked all over the downtown area taking in the sites.
    Jeung Su Noh was an English as a second language student from Korea that we housed over 16 years ago.
    And he returned with his family to show them Victoria. Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	152.1 KB
ID:	217220 Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	217221 The little one was really starting to tire out when we reached to top of Beacon Hill so I carried her on my shoulders back to their hotel.
    That is why she is still spunky and he is all funky. Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	149.8 KB
ID:	217222
    After leaving them to recuperate the search for pull tabs resumed.
    And yes they were found. Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Size:	169.7 KB
ID:	217223
    That particular earring failed to show under the coil but these clunkers didn't. Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Size:	132.7 KB
ID:	217224 Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	125.6 KB
ID:	217225 And although this is a nice find it is just plated. Click image for larger version

Name:	7.jpg
Size:	189.8 KB
ID:	217226 Payment for my professional services are always minimal. Click image for larger version

Name:	8.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	217227
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Even though that particular lost earring was not found there were two rewards coming my way for the days endeavors.
    This little golden pendant happened late in the day. Click image for larger version

Name:	9.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	217229 Click image for larger version

Name:	10.jpg
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	217230 But the best reward was another smile.
    You see during the afternoon walk this I saw cellphone sitting on a log in the park. Click image for larger version

Name:	11.jpg
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	217231 And this smiling young lady answered my add in the lost and founds last night. Click image for larger version

Name:	12.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	217232
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

U are a good soul Bruce...nice job
      The chase is better than the catch...
      I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

Hey Bruce, Good work Man.
        Michigan Yooper
        If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Bruce - as usual you have a very interesting story with lots of intrigue this time. I'm gonna watch for the movie version. I like it that you take the time to try and find the original owners when possible. Nice going. ...Chuck
          Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

it looks like you had a great time hunting and an even greater time with your old friends and your new one. now get back out there and find that $900 earring!!!!!!!!!! of course the dog might have ate it.

Comment

Sorry Bruce but I am going to tag your post. A few years back I was told of a mother losing her wedding ring. So I volunteered to find it. I drove 100 miles with detector in hand to become a hero. It was hot and humid and I spent 5 hours in a 20'x40 ' plot that was where it was lost. I went at that area 8 ways from Sunday. After all that work I came back and said No I cant find it. Feeling like a failure she tells me it could have been lost in few other spots. I was shown those areas as well. So I spend the rest of the day detecting those areas. I found nothing! So after all that I came back and was shown the Ring where the clasp and the diamond was missing. I just smiled and said no you most likely wont find it!
              Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

• 2ndoldman
                2ndoldman commented
                Editing a comment
                Now that totally sucks .

• painshill
                painshill commented
                Editing a comment
                A few years ago my next door neighbour lost a $6,000 diamond solitaire ring, set in gold. She went supermarket shopping and knows she had it on when she left home, but noticed it was missing when she unpacked her groceries. We don't know for sure that she didn't lose it in the supermarket or its parking lot, but she thinks she probably lost it during several trips to carry the groceries from her car across the grounds and lawn outside our houses. My (not very good) metal detector didn't find anything and, in any case, the front area of the property has a mass of buried metalwork for gas, electricity, telephone and other services... both in-use and defunct... which interfered with the detector. She claimed on her insurance so, technically, if found it would belong to the insurance company (with perhaps a finder's fee reward). If that weren't the case, I would have invited Bruce over.

Bruce, that is a very nice story. I am glad you shared it with us. I am reminded of a visit I made to Victoria in 2000. It is a beautiful city and the downtown area is so "quaint" and totally British.

Comment

Looks like you had a great day with your "adopted family". The smile on Katrina's face must have been icing on the cake. Nice Bruce.
                Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Working...
                X